Medical Therapy Program (MTP)/Medical Therapy Unit (MTU)
Children with physical handicaps who are eligible for the California Children Services (CCS) program may receive physical and/or occupational therapy through the Medical Therapy Unit (MTU).
Therapists specialize in pediatric treatment and equipment issues. The goal of therapy is directed toward attaining maximum function within the limits of the child's capabilities. The Medical Therapy Program is a cooperative effort of state and local departments of health and education. MTUs are located in public schools, where space and therapy equipment are provided by the county's schools.
Our Medical Therapy Unit is located on the McPherson School campus in Napa. Referrals to the program can be made by parents, private physicians, specialty clinics, school nurses, hospitals, or other agencies. There is no charge for the occupational and physical therapy services. Financial assistance is available, for those that qualify, to help pay for durable medical equipment and bracing needs.
What services does the Medical Therapy Program provide?
- Occupational and physical therapy treatment at the therapy unit. Services also include:
- Evaluation and custom fittings of durable medical equipment, such as wheelchairs (if financially eligible)
- School site visits
- Attendance at school meetings such as Individualized Education Plans (IEPs)
- Occasional home visits
- Clinics led by a doctor trained in physical medicine and rehabilitation and an orthopedist
Who is eligible for occupational and physical therapy services?
An individual who is:
- Birth to 21 years old and
- Lives in Napa County and
- Has a long-term neurologic or orthopedic physical disability such as cerebral palsy, spina bifida, arthritis or muscular dystrophy that would benefit from rehabilitative services.
THERE ARE NO FINANCIAL ELIGIBILITY REQUIREMENTS FOR THERAPY SERVICES
How do you refer and apply?
Just like the general CCS program, anyone - a parent, teacher, doctor or case manager - can refer a child/young adult to the Medical Therapy Program. Referrals and applications are accepted by phone, mail or fax. Please submit the application form.
CCS Application for Services (Parents/Legal Guardian to complete)
Submit the completed application by mail or fax to
California Children Services
2261 Elm St. Bldg R
Napa, CA 94559
Phone: (707) 253-4391
Fax: (707) 299-2123
Contact the Medical Therapy Program
Pat Howard, OT Supervising Therapist
Napa County Medical Therapy Unit
2610 Yajome St. Napa, CA 94558
Phone: (707) 259-8209
Fax: (707) 253-6216
Napa Valley Assistive Technology Lending Library
North Bay Regional Center
Special Education Local Plan Area (SELPA)