Report an Illicit Discharge


Countywide Stormwater Pollution Prevention Program

Foam Pollution (Stormwater)

Report an Illicit Discharge

It is illegal to release anything other than stormwater which is free of pollutants to a stormwater conveyance system!  Stormwater conveyance systems include streets, curbs and gutter, storm drains and ditches.  See Non-Stormwater Discharges below to learn about specific exemptions to these prohibitions.

Call the Stormwater Hotline for the local jurisdiction in which its occurring to report an illicit discharge.  Please provide a detailed account of the incident (i.e., date, time, location, responsible party (if known), pollutant (if known) and nature of the incident when you call.  You can report anonymously but if you provide your contact information it allows municipal staff to gather additional information and report back to you about the outcome of the incident. 

Stormwater Hotlines


American Canyon     (707) 647-4550  
Napa (707) 257-9600
Yountville (707) 944-8851 or (707) 944-2988 after hours
St. Helena (707) 968-2658 or (707) 967-2850 after hours
Calistoga (707) 942-2828
Napa County (unincorporated) (707) 253-4417


Non-Stormwater Discharges aka "Allowable" Discharges

The following discharges are EXEMPT from the illicit discharge prohibitions.

  1. Water line flushing and other discharges from potable water sources
  2. Irrigation and lawn watering
  3. Rising ground waters or springs
  4. Passive foundation and footing drains
  5. Water from crawl space pumps and basement pumps
  6. Air conditioning condensate
  7. Noncommercial vehicle washing*
  8. Natural flows from riparian habitats and wetlands
  9. Dechlorinated swimming pool discharges**
  10. Flows from fire suppression activities, including fire hydrant flows
  11. Waters not otherwise containing wastes as defined in California Water Code Section 13050(d) and California Health and Safety Code Section 25117
  12. Diverted stream flows
  13. Uncontaminated ground water infiltration (as defined at 40 Code of Federal Regulation Section 35.2005(b)(20) to separate storm sewers
  14. Uncontaminated pumped ground water

*Local agencies also allow occasional non-profit car wash fund raisers.  Contact your local  stormwater agency  for more information.

**Prior to draining a swimming pool to the street, you must call the local stormwater agency for an encroachment permit.  Please refer to the  Pollution Prevention for Pools, Spas, and Fountains  quicklink for more information on BMPs and discharge options.

Please refer to the BMPs and FAQs found throughout this website and the local  stormwater ordinances  for more information on the local discharge requirements.