Organized in June 1949 under the auspices of Sheriff John Claussen, by Dick Bridgeford, Jack Bergin and Caesar Bertagna. Those three men, all veterans of World War II, started Bridgeford Flying Service at the Napa Airport, a company still in service. Those three were soon joined by members of the Napa Flying community and formed a full squadron. The members of the squadron, then as well as the present day, come from all sectors of the community. There have been and still include doctors, lawyers, morticians, ranchers, retired peace officers, accountants, construction workers, etc. In other words, they represent a general cross section of the Napa community with two main differences; a love of flying and a desire to voluntarily serve their community. The squadron members offer their time and aircraft to local law enforcement agencies free of charge. The members supply their own uniforms, weapons and other equipment as required. The members maintain a regular training schedule including practice air search and rescue missions and weapons training. The mission of the squadron is to provide aerial surveillance observing various criminal activity, prisoner transportation and transportation services for sheriff activities. The squadron has provided transportation to Montana, Wyoming, Arizona, Oregon, Idaho, Nevada and all over California.