FAQ about Adult Protective Services


Comprehensive Services for Older AdultsHealth and Human Services Agency



Here are some frequently asked questions about Adult Protective Services.

Does APS evaluate all adults and protect anyone who is thought to be abused?
If the APS social worker confirms that a dependent adult or elderly person is not safe in their home, can they remove him or her and place the person in a safer environment?
Does an APS worker locate housing for the homeless or individuals being evicted from their homes?
What legal protections are offered to clients of domestic abuse? What does domestic abuse cover?
If there is no responsible relative or other individual willing or available to sign admission forms for a confused patient transferring from the hospital into a nursing home, will APS sign the forms?
What kind of money management does APS offer?
If I report my suspicions about an abuse, but do not have proof, what will happen to me and can I remain anonymous?
If APS cannot get voluntary cooperation from a client who has been determined to be too frail to handle their financial affairs, or resist undue influence, does APS automatically refer such cases for a Conservatorship?
What is the difference between an LPS and a Probate Conservatorship?
Does APS find caregivers to go into the home of a frail client?
How quickly can we expect a social worker to respond to a report that is not an emergency?
What is an emergency response case?