How to Apply for Medi-Cal/CMSP
To get an application:
- Call (707) 253-4511 to have an application sent to you
- Visit one of two locations: 2261 Elm Street Building K in Napa or 4381 Broadway in American Canyon to complete an application
- Apply online at C4Yourself.com
Instructions for completing the application are provided. It is important to answer every question. If you need help, call (707) 253-4511.
After completing the application, either return it to the local office by mail or in person.
What to include with your application
For faster service, include the following with the application:
- Proof of the identity of the head of household
- Proof of U.S. Citizenship or U.S. Nationalization and identification for all applicants. Go to http://www.dhcs.ca.gov/services/medi-cal/pages/dra.aspx.
- Social Security number for each person for whom application is made
- Proof of income (paystubs, tax return for self-employed, unemployment or disability benefits)
- Proof of the value of real and personal property (bank accounts, life insurance, vehicle registrations)
- An eligibility worker (EW) will be assigned to process each application. If additional documents or proof of circumstances are needed, the EW will request them via mail.
- The applicant will receive a letter, called a Notice of Action, letting him/her know if benefits have been approved or denied.
- The County has 45 days to process an application for Medi-Cal/CMSP. If the applicant requests a disability determination, the process may take up to 90 days depending upon how quickly the applicant provides information and the doctors and hospitals submit medical records.
- If the applicant disagrees with any action taken by the County, there is an appeals process known as a State Hearing. Look on the back of the Notice of Action for information on how to request a State Hearing.