Crime Victim Compensation & Restitution

California Victim Compensation Board

Under California law (Government Code Sections 13959-13969.3), qualifying victims of crime may receive financial assistance for losses resulting from a crime when they cannot be reimbursed by other sources. The California Victim Compensation and Government Claims Board administers California's Victim Compensation Board (CalVCB).

Napa County’s Victim Services Division can assist victims with CalVCB applications; and can provide information about other resources for potential loss recovery. 

Who is Eligible?

  • Victim is a California resident at the time of the crime or the crime must have occurred in California.
  • Nonresidents victimized in California.
  • Cooperate reasonably with police and court officials to arrest and prosecute the offender (exceptions may apply).
  • Cooperate with CalVCB staff.
  • Not have been involved in events leading to the crime.
  • Not have committed a crime that could be charged as a felony at the time the qualifying crime occurred.
  • File the application within seven years of the crime, seven years after the direct victim turns 21 years of age, or seven years from when the crime could have been discovered, whichever is later. 

Inside a Victim Services meeting roomCovered Losses

The following losses may be covered by the program:

  • Medical / Dental treatment
  • Mental Health Counseling
  • Lost income, if the victim is disabled because of the crime
  • Loss of support, for dependents when a victim is killed or disabled because of a crime
  • Funeral and burial expenses
  • Job Retraining
  • Home or vehicle modifications if the victim is disabled because of the crime
  • Home security, if the crime happened in someone's home
  • Emergency relocation
  • Crime scene cleanup, when a homicide happens in someone's home
  • Medically necessary equipment, including wheelchairs, eyeglasses, and hearing aids

Losses Not Covered

The following expenses cannot be paid by the program:

  • Any expenses paid by your insurance or another source
  • Lost, damaged or stolen property
  • Pain and suffering
  • A person who is on felony probation, on parole, in jail, or in prison cannot be paid by the program for any expense

For more information concerning the Victim Compensation Program, contact the California Victim Compensation Board at 800-777-9229. Information is also available on CalVCB - CA Victim Compensation Board


"A Direct Order of restitution awarded by the sentencing judge may be collected on behalf of the victim of the crime for any economic loss; medical, funeral expenses, or counseling." - CDCR 1707.

You have the right to submit a restitution request for any direct losses incurred as a result of a crime.

If you are the victim of crime, victim's next of kin, witness or concerned citizen, you may use CDCR Form 1707 to request notification of the status of the adult inmate in prison, request special conditions of parole for the inmate when he/she is released from prison, or provide the California Department of Corrections and Rehabilitation (CDCR) with your contact information so that any court-ordered restitution collected by the prison can be sent to you. Contact the California Department of Corrections and Rehabilitation for more information.

Restitution Court

Napa Superior Court conducts a monthly court hearing for convicted felons on formal probation who owe over $1,000 in restitution, have the ability to pay, and are not paying in a reasonable manner. Participants must be referred by the Probation Department and ordered by a judge. If you have questions regarding this program, please call 707-299-1414 to speak with a Victim Advocate.