Submitting a Consumer Complaint

The Consumer/Environmental Protection Unit (CEPU) investigates and prosecutes cases involving fraudulent, deceptive, and/or illegal business activity that victimizes Napa County residents, threatens public safety, or endangers Napa County’s environment and natural resources. We look for a pattern and practice of unlawful business activities and, where appropriate, file civil or criminal enforcement actions.

Our cases are developed through law enforcement investigations and through complaints received directly from consumers. Accordingly, we encourage consumers to submit complaints to our office. However, please be advised that the District Attorney's Office cannot act as your personal attorney, give you legal advice, or file an action directly on your behalf.

Making a Consumer Complaint

In appropriate cases, we may send your complaint to the business you are complaining about in an effort to achieve an informal resolution. We may also refer you to a government agency that is better suited to assist you with your complaint. 

You can find links to agencies that oversee and investigate various types of business activity on our Consumer Links page. In any event, you may wish to seek legal advice regarding your complaint from a private attorney.

A link to the Consumer Complaint Form is listed below. Please fill in the form completely, and attach copies, not originals, of all documents relating to the transaction. You can mail the completed form to 

Napa County District Attorney's Office
Consumer/Environmental Protection Unit
1127 First Street
Suite C
Napa CA 94559

Or email the district attorney for consumers


If you have any questions about your complaint or the form, please call the CEPU Help Line at (707) 253-4059, or email us at the above address.

Other Legal Remedies

You should be aware that there are statutes of limitation that govern the period of time you have to bring a civil action against the company involved in your complaint. The clock is running on these limitation periods even if the CEPU investigates a claim and files a case against the company. Accordingly, you may wish to contact a private attorney or pursue your claim in Small Claims Court.

Small Claims Court

Small Claims Court is a special court to provide a quick and inexpensive way to collect claims up to $10,000. You must be 18 years old to file a claim. Minors must have the court appoint a guardian to sue for them.

Need help? Napa County operates a Small Claims Court Advisor Program to assist you. Call 707-253-4524. The Small Claims Advisor is available by telephone Tuesdays and Wednesdays, from 1 p.m. to 3:30 p.m.

Additional help may be found on the Napa County Superior Court's website.

Legal Aid

Bay Area Legal Aid - Napa County is a not-for-profit organization whose mission is to provide free, competent legal assistance to seniors, immigrants and low-income residents of Napa County. Legal Aid represents clients before courts and agencies, helps them obtain benefits, and protects their rights through advocacy, consultation, education, and referrals.