Pesticide Use & Enforcement Program 

Operator Identification Numbers & Restricted Materials Permits

Ag Staff signing people in for CE classes

Prior to purchasing or applying pesticides, growers and businesses must obtain or renew an operator identification number (OP ID) or restricted materials permit (RM). The annual renewal process begins by appointment in December. During the renewal contact information, sites, compliance agreements, crop statistics and pesticides are reviewed and updated. Please contact our office to make an appointment 707-253-4357.

Business Registrations

The Napa County Agricultural Commissioner’s Office registers maintenance gardeners, structural and agricultural pest control businesses, aircraft pilots, pest advisers, and farm labor contractors. View a list of registration fees. For further information about maintenance gardeners, click here for English and here for Spanish. Please contact our office for an appointment at 707-253-4357.

Pesticide Use Reports

tractor spray applicationPesticide use reports are required to be submitted by the 10th of each month following the month of application. The most efficient way to submit reports is CalAgPermits. For step-by-step instructions please visit the CalAg Permits page. Please contact us to help you set-up with a CalAgPermits web user account, at 707-253-4357.

Production Monthly Agricultural Pesticide Use Report (PUR)

  • Generally, Growers and pest control businesses applying pesticides for the production of an agricultural commodity.

Seven Day Use Report

  • Pest Control Businesses hired to make a custom application to properties they do not operate.

Monthly Summary Pesticide Use Report (MSPUR)

  • Growers and pest control businesses making applications to non-crop areas on an agricultural property.
  • Maintenance Gardeners, Structural Pest Control Businesses and companies that use SO2.

Zero Use Report

  • Pest Control Businesses and Structural Pest Control Operators who did not perform any applications that month, within the county.

Pesticide Use Forms

Fieldworker Forms

Private Applicator Certification (PAC)

Growers who use restricted materials, have employees that apply pesticides, or employees who work in pesticide-treated fields are required to have a private applicator certificate (PAC). The PAC exam is administered, in English and Spanish, in our office, Monday-Friday 8-3 PM.  The certificate is valid for three years and may be renewed with 6 hours of continuing education or by re-examination. 

New for 2023:

There is a new PAC exam that everyone with a PAC will have to take to renew their card. PAC holders will not be able to renew their card with continuing education hours until they have taken and passed the new exam. This change will be phased in over a three-year period. More detailed information is available in the following document.

Training & Outreach

Each year, the Agricultural Commissioner's Office sponsors continuing education classes geared toward providing credits for private applicator certificate holders and State Licensees. In partnership with industry and educational groups we have created a multitude of outreach and educational events.


Effective and comprehensive pesticide use compliance monitoring is essential for the safety of pesticide handlers, fieldworkers, the public and the environment. Our office inspects both agricultural and non-agricultural settings to ensure compliance with all safety regulations. Our office performs pesticide application, field worker safety, pesticide storage and disposal, as well as annual records inspections.

Compliance & Enforcement

Our office strives to ensure "compliance through education," however if those efforts fail several compliance or enforcement actions may be taken. Compliance actions include letters of warning, notices of violation, and documented compliance interviews. If the case involves serious worker safety violations or environmental or property damage, an enforcement action may be warranted. When an enforcement action is initiated, a Notice of Proposed Action (NOPA) is drafted that outlines the violations, and a fine is proposed. Those who are issued a NOPA are afforded due process rights. 3CCR 6130 and 6128 respectively.