If you have questions please contact us by phone at 707-253-4501 or email [email protected].
Deputy Sheriff Applicants
The Sheriff’s Office has three levels of applicant:
- The Deputy Sheriff Trainee position is for people who meet the basic qualifications (listed below) and have not completed an academy. This is a paid, non-sworn training position that is used by the applicant while they attend a certified POST basic police academy. Upon successful completion of the academy, applicants are appointed to the Deputy Sheriff I classification.
- Deputy Sheriff I position. Deputy Sheriff I is the entry-level position. Applicants must meet the basic qualifications and have completed a certified POST basic police academy.
- Deputy Sheriff II applicants must meet the basic qualification, have completed a POST basic academy and have a POST basic certificate that signifies at least one year of full-time experience with a law enforcement agency in California.
The minimum qualifications for all deputy sheriff positions include:
- Minimum age of 21
- High school graduate or GED equivalent
- Possession of a valid California driver’s license
- Ability to pass a comprehensive background investigation that includes the checking of references, employment, financial, education, social, and criminal history and drug use.
The selection process may include any or all of the following: reading proficiency test, physical agility test, oral board interview, polygraph test, criminal history check and a comprehensive background investigation. Prior to appointment, a candidate must also successfully pass a psychological exam and a pre-employment physical exam.
How to Apply
Napa County Human Resources section lists available job opportunities and allows you to submit an application. You may also obtain more comprehensive details about benefits and requirements of the position. If the position you desire is not currently accepting applications, you may create a log on account and the website will notify you when the position is open.