Household Hazardous Waste
Improper and illegal disposal can contaminate our drinking water, impede waste water treatment plants, pollute local waterways and endanger workers. It can also lead to penalties and fines.
- Carburetor cleaners
- Drain openers
- Fluorescent bulbs / tubes
- Gasoline and fuel additives
- Glues and cements
- Grease and rust solvents
- Latex and oil-based paints
- Lighter fluids
- Mercury containing items (thermometers, thermostats, etc.)
- Oven cleaners
- Paint thinner and stripper
- Photo chemicals
- Polishes and cleaners
- Pool chemicals
- Rechargeable or alkaline batteries
- Transmission fluids
- Unwanted medications (no controlled substances - contact your pharmacist if you are unsure if your medication is a controlled substance)
- Used oil and oil filters
- Wood and metal cleaners
- Wood preservatives
Where Can I Take Household Hazardous Waste (HHW)?
Permanent Household Hazardous Waste Collection Facility
The permanent HHW collection facility is located at 889-A Devlin Road, off Highway 29 in south Napa. It is for safe and legal disposal of unusable hazardous products. Please remember to pack products carefully so they won’t mix or spill and transport them in the trunk if possible. The facility accepts all types of household hazardous waste except radioactive materials, explosives and ammunition.
- Households: No appointment required; no fee.
- Open every Friday & Saturday : 9 a.m. until 4 p.m.
- For highway safety, there is a limit of 15 gallons or 125 pounds of household hazardous waste per trip.
- For more information call: 800-984-9661 or 707-259-8608.
NEW Hazardous Waste Facility Remains Open to Public
Despite the closure of several public hazardous waste facilities in the S. F. Bay Area, the Napa-Vallejo Household Hazardous Waste Facility remains open to the public.
All visitors to the site will be required to remain in their vehicles as workers wearing protective equipment unload wastes.
Businesses must call 800-984-9661 for an appointment to dispose of materials at the site. The facility operators charge a fee for certain types and quantities of hazardous business waste.
Yountville Hazardous Waste Recycling Center Closure
The hazardous waste recycling center located at the Town of Yountville's corporate yard permanently closed on March 29, 2019. More information on how to dispose of your hazardous waste can be found at the recycling guide linked above or on the Yountville Hazardous Waste (PDF) flyer.
Up Valley Temporary Household Hazardous Waste Collection Events
Upper Valley Waste Management Agency (UVA) sponsors twice-yearly household hazardous waste collection events. Typically events are held in April in St. Helena and in October in Calistoga. These events are held on one day, with set hours, and residents can drop off their household hazardous wastes at no charge. To request information on these events contact UVA at 707-259-8330.