Household Hazardous Waste
Improper and illegal disposal can contaminate our drinking water, impede waste water treatment plants, pollute local waterways and endanger workers. It can also lead to penalties and fines.
Where Can I Take Household Hazardous Waste (HHW)?
Permanent Household Hazardous Waste Collection Facility
The permanent HHW collection facility is located at 889-A Devlin Road, off Highway 29 in south Napa. It is for safe and legal disposal of unusable hazardous products. Please remember to pack products carefully so they won’t mix or spill and transport them in the trunk if possible. The facility accepts all types of household hazardous waste except radioactive materials, explosives and ammunition.
- Households: No appointment required; no fee.
- Open every Friday & Saturday : 9 a.m. until 4 p.m.
- For highway safety, there is a limit of 15 gallons or 125 pounds of household hazardous waste per trip.
- For more information call: 800-984-9661 or 707-259-8608.
Up Valley Temporary Household Hazardous Waste Collection Events
Upper Valley Waste Management Agency (UVA) sponsors twice-yearly household hazardous waste collection events. Typically events are held in April in St. Helena and in October in Calistoga. These events are held on one day, with set hours, and residents can drop off their household hazardous wastes at no charge. To request information on these events contact UVA at 707-259-8330.
- Carburetor cleaners
- Drain openers
- Fluorescent bulbs / tubes
- Gasoline and fuel additives
- Glues and cements
- Grease and rust solvents
- Latex and oil-based paints
- Lighter fluids
- Mercury containing items (thermometers, thermostats, etc.)
- Oven cleaners
- Paint thinner and stripper
- Photo chemicals
- Polishes and cleaners
- Pool chemicals
- Rechargeable or alkaline batteries
- Transmission fluids
- Unwanted medications (no controlled substances - contact your pharmacist if you are unsure if your medication is a controlled substance)
- Used oil and oil filters
- Wood and metal cleaners
- Wood preservatives