Weights & Measures
Recently, the Napa County Department of Weights & Measures has updated our fee structure. Many of the fees administered for Weights and Measures device registration are set by legislation within the California Business and Professions Code (CA B&P), which establishes a maximum amount that can be charged. We spent some time updating our fees and ordinances, including our Price Verification Program which began in 2007 and is now seeing its first fee increase. This has been a very successful program to monitor and maintain pricing accuracy for the consumers and businesses of Napa Valley.
In July, our office will be sending out invoices for device and point of sale system registration which will encompass a six month period, including July through December. This is a result of our efforts to go to a calendar year billing cycle beginning in January 2020. The change is an effort to align with other department registrations, permits, and fees, in addition to aligning with our inspection work which is based on a calendar year.
If you have any questions, please contact the Napa County Weights & Measures Department.
The Napa County Department of Weights and Measures is divided into several programs to:
- Ensure the accuracy of commercial weighing and measuring devices
- Verify the price, quantity and labeling of packaged and bulk commodities
- Verify quality, advertising and labeling standards for various petroleum products
- Enforce Weighmaster laws to assure accuracy of information on Weighmaster certificates.
Learn more by reading our Weights and Measures Week (PDF) Opens a New Window. handout.
- Weighing and Measuring Device Registration
- Weights & Measures Fees Opens a New Window.
- Quantity Control of Packaged Goods
- Weighmaster Enforcement Program
- Buying Commercial Scales on the Internet (PDF) Opens a New Window.
- Weighing and Measuring Device Registration Ordinance (PDF) Opens a New Window.
- Annual State Device Administrative Fee Chart (PDF) Opens a New Window.
- Weights and Measures Informational Brochure (PDF Opens a New Window. )
Registered Service Agent Examination
Anyone wishing to take the Registered Service Agency (RSA) exam on or After April 1, 2013 must take the test online at Division of Measurement Standards (DMS) RSA (select Registered Service Agent Online Exam link on the right- hand side of the page).
- California Department of Consumer Affairs: Protects and serves California consumers while ensuring a competent and fair marketplace.
- California Association of Standards and Agricultural Professionals: Staff association dedicated to promoting professionalism in county government.
- California Public Utilities Commission: Regulates privately owned telecommunications, electric, natural gas, water, railroad, rail transit, and passenger transportation companies.
- National Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST): Formerly the National Bureau of Standards. Establishes the scientific validity of standards.
- National Conference on Weights and Measures: Industry and government officials developing operational regulatory standards.