Weights & Measures
The mission of the Napa County Department of Weights and Measures is to provide fair competition and equity in the marketplace and to ensure that the interests of the buyer and seller are protected through educational, inspection and enforcement programs.
Device Registration Fees Proposed to Increase
Recently the Weights & Measures Department at the direction of the Board of Supervisors completed an independent fee analysis to review our fees and make necessary adjustments as needed. Based on our recent fee analysis, and the authorized fee structure provided in Business and Professions Code Section 12240 and 13350, we are proposing fee changes. Please see the Fee Change Memorandum for specific details.
Enjoy an informative video to see how Weights and Measures protects consumers, workers, and businesses.
The Napa County Department of Weights and Measures is divided into several programs to:
- Ensure the accuracy of commercial weighing and measuring devices
- Verify the price, quantity and labeling of packaged and bulk commodities
- Verify quality, advertising and labeling standards for various petroleum products
- Enforce Weighmaster laws to assure accuracy of information on Weighmaster certificates.
Learn more by reading our Weights and Measures Week (PDF) Opens a New Window. handout.
- Weighing and Measuring Device Registration
- Weights & Measures Fees Opens a New Window.
- Quantity Control of Packaged Goods
- Weighmaster Enforcement Program
- Buying Commercial Scales on the Internet (PDF) Opens a New Window.
- Weighing and Measuring Device Registration Ordinance (PDF) Opens a New Window.
- Annual State Device Administrative Fee Chart (PDF) Opens a New Window.
- Weights and Measures Informational Brochure (PDF Opens a New Window. )
Registered Service Agent Examination
Anyone wishing to take the RSA exam on or After April 1, 2013 must take the test online at DMS Registered Service Agency (select Registered Service Agent Online Exam link on the right- hand side of the page).
- California Department of Consumer Affairs: Protects and serves California consumers while ensuring a competent and fair marketplace.
- California Association of Standards and Agricultural Professionals: Staff association dedicated to promoting professionalism in county government.
- California Public Utilities Commission: Regulates privately owned telecommunications, electric, natural gas, water, railroad, rail transit, and passenger transportation companies.
- National Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST): Formerly the National Bureau of Standards. Establishes the scientific validity of standards.
- National Conference on Weights and Measures: Industry and government officials developing operational regulatory standards.