Agricultural Burn Information

Alternatives to Burning

When managing vineyard debris from pruning and vineyard removals, consider these alternatives to burning:

  • Chipping/grinding plant material and disking into soil, or  
  • Chipping/grinding plant material for composting on-site or at a facility licensed to conduct composting, or
  • Removing all waste material and transporting to a licensed facility capable of handling it properly.

For information on the protocols and best management practices for conducting agricultural burns, please see our email (PDF) in both English and Spanish.

Burn Notification Form Submission

If you choose to burn, a notification form (PDF) Bay Area Air Quality Logo must be submitted to the Bay Area Air Quality Management District (BAAQMD) with the appropriate fees (PDF). The BAAQMD enforces regulations specifying when, where and what can be burned. For detailed information about open burning, burn permits, applicable fees and burn pile requirements, please contact the BAAQMD at 415-771-6000, visit their open burn webpage, and review their general burn information sheet (PDF).

To conduct the most efficient burn with the lowest production of smoke possible, follow the protocols outlined in the Napa Valley Grapegrowers’ Best Practices f Grape Growers Logo Opens in new windowor Low Smoke Agricultural Burning (PDF) pamphlet, also available in Spanish: Mejores formas para reducir la producción de humo en la quema agrícola (PDF).

The Napa County Agricultural Commissioner’s Office may approve the burning of plant material for the control of certain pests and diseases during that time of year when open burning is not normally allowed by BAAQMD. Please contact our office for assistance.

Additional Notification

Growers CAL FIREare also required to notify Cal Fire of burning activities, and after May 1, secure the appropriate burn permit by contacting the local Cal Fire Station or by contacting Lake-Napa Unit Headquarters Office in St. Helena at 1199 Big Tree Road, 707-967-1400. See the Cal Fire memo (PDF) for more information.