Napa County General Plan
The County's General Plan serves as a broad framework for planning the future of Napa County. This General Plan is the official policy statement of the County Board of Supervisors to guide the private and public development of the County.
- Directs housing and commercial enterprises to the incorporated jurisdictions and designated urbanized areas through the use of maps and policies.
- Protects agriculture and agricultural, watershed and open space lands by maintaining 40- and 160-acre minimum parcel sizes, limiting uses allowed in agricultural areas, and designating agriculture as our primary land use.
- Provides for the additional workforce and affordable housing by identifying necessary sites and programs and by continued collaborations with municipalities.
- Contains policies aimed at preserving the County’s irreplaceable biodiversity, protecting significant natural resources and water resources, and improving the ecological health of the Napa River.
- Provides transportation policies aimed at addressing congestion, safety, and accessibility, emphasizing alternatives to the private automobile and limited road improvements.
- Describes a network of bike routes and recreational trails connecting residents to parks and an increasing amount of permanently protected public open space.
- Includes policies aimed at reducing local contributions to global climate change and encouraging sustainable building practices, sustainable vineyard practices, and ecological stewardship.
- Recognizes that protecting the economic viability of agriculture is critical to the County’s future and that tourism and supporting industries that are compatible with agriculture also contribute to its viability.
Table of Contents
All files below are in the Adobe PDF format. You need Adobe Reader to view these files. You may download it for free at Adobe's website.
- Napa County General Plan - Complete Document (PDF)
- Amending Resolutions (PDF)
- Signature Page (PDF)
- Introduction (PDF)
- Summary and Vision (PDF)
- Agricultural Preservation and Land Use Element (PDF)
- Circulation Element (PDF)
- Community Character Element (PDF)
- Conservation Element (PDF)
- Economic Development Element (PDF)
- Housing Elelment (2014) (PDF)
- Recreation and Open Space Element (PDF)
- Safety Element (PDF)
- Implementation Plan (PDF)
- Glossary (PDF)
- Acknowledgements (PDF)
The County is required, pursuant to Government Code 65400(a)(2), to report to the Department of Housing and Community Development (HCD) as well as the Office of Planning and Research (OPR) regarding reasonable and practical means for implementing the General Plan if a new plan, in total or in part, has been adopted. In addition, a separate report is required that details the progress of implementing the Housing Element.
Since adoption of the General Plan in 2008, the County has prepared and maintains a comprehensive list of implementation action items referenced in the General Plan. The Implementation Table (PDF) Opens a New Window. details each action item by element and the status of its implementation. In addition, the County implements its General Plan by applying the Plan's goals and policies to individual discretionary decisions in the course of the year.
The list of Housing Element Programs (PDF) Opens a New Window. from the Housing Element adopted in June of 2009 with corresponding completion dates is available here. While there is some question from HCD as to the adequacy of the element, the Board of Supervisors adopted the Housing Element with the belief that this important chapter of the General Plan meets all statutory requirements and staff continues to implement the programs contained within the document. The goal of the Housing Element is to ensure housing for each economic segment of the community and to reduce constraints in the development of affordable and special needs housing.
General Plan Environmental Documents
Click here to download Resolution 08-86 Opens a New Window. , certifying the environmental impact report for the General Plan Update (2008). Use the tabs below to access PDFs of the Environmental Impact Report documents prepared for the General Plan Update:
General Plan Update - Draft Environmental Impact Report (DEIR)
- 0.0 Cover Page GP DEIR
- 0.2 Dividers GP DEIR
- 0.3 Title Page GP DEIR
- 00 TOC GP DEIR
- 1.0 Introduction GP DEIR
- 2.0 Executive Summary GP DEIR
- 3.0 Project Description GP DEIR
- 4.0 Assumptions GP DEIR
- 4.1 Agriculture GP DEIR
- 4.10 Geology GP DEIR
- 4.11 Hydrology GP DEIR
- 4.13 Public Services GP DEIR
- 4.14 Visual GP DEIR
- 4.2 Land Use GP DEIR
- 4.3 Population and Housing GP DEIR
- 4.4 Transportation GP DEIR
- 4.5 Biological Resources GP DEIR
- 4.6 Fisheries GP DEIR
- 4.7 Noise GP DEIR
- 4.8 Air Quality GP DEIR
- 4.9 Human Health_Risk of Upset GP DEIR
- 5 0 Cumulative Impacts GP DEIR
- 6.0 Alternatives GP DEIR
- 7 0 Long-Term GP DEIR
- 8.0 Report Preparers GP DEIR
- 9.0 Acronyms GP DEIR
General Plan Update - Draft EIR Technical Appendices
- 0.0_ Cover_Appendicies GP DEIR TechApp
- 0.0_Appendices Title Page GP DEIR TechApp
- 0.1_TOC GP DEIR TechApp
- 0.2_Dividers GP DEIR TechApp
- A_Scoping Summary Report and Comments GP DEIR TechApp
- B_Industrial Land Use Study GP DEIR TechApp
- C_Napa County GP Update - Traffic Tech Memo and Alt E Findings GP DEIR TechApp
- D_Traffic Noise Modeling Data GP DEIR TechApp
- E_Napa County Woodsmoke Emissions and Modeling Data GP DEIR TechApp
- G_Conservation and Mitigation BMPs and Guidelines GP DEIR TechApp
- I_Approaches to Impact Avoidance GP DEIR TechApp
General Plan Update - Final EIR, Volume II
- 0.0_Cover_Vol II
- 0.2_Response to Comments Title Page
- 0.3_TOC Vol II
- A_3 0 FEIR responses intro
- B_3.0 FEIR responses - agencies A-Z
- C_3.0 FEIR responses - agencies AA-II
- D_3.0 FEIR responses - letters 1-50
- E_3.0 FEIR responses - letters 51-100
- F_3.0 FEIR responses - letters 101-125
- G_3.0 FEIR responses - letters 126-150_Final 12-14-07
- H_3.0 FEIR responses - letter 151
- I_3.0 FEIR responses - Letter 152
- J_3.0 FEIR responses - letters 153-188
- K_3.0 FEIR responses - Public Hearing comments