Sheriff Citizen's Academy
Sheriff Citizen’s Academy
The Napa County Sheriff’s Office is collecting applications for the Napa County Sheriff Citizen’s Academy. The Citizen’s Academy is a program designed to give those with little to no law enforcement exposure or experience a chance to see what goes on “behind the scenes” at the Sheriff’s Office.
Participants will attend classroom presentations regarding relevant law enforcement topics instructed by members of the Sheriff’s Office. In addition, participants will be given the opportunity to apply what they have learned through role-playing scenarios. By the time the Academy is complete, all participants will have special insight into the inner workings of the Sheriff’s Office and law enforcement in general. It should be noted this Academy is not intended to prepare participants for a career in Law Enforcement.
- Increase communication and build a relationship of trust and understanding between the Sheriff’s Department and the citizens of the community.
- Provide education and insight to citizens concerning the job functions of a law enforcement officer
- Create a non-threatening setting for citizens to share concerns with Sheriff’s Department employees
- Foster a pool of well informed “graduates” who will share knowledge and insight with others
- Build a pool of alumni graduates
The Sheriff Citizen’s Academy will run on Wednesday evenings from 3/8/23 to 5/24/23. The majority of the sessions will be 3 hours long and occur on Wednesday evenings from 6:00-9:00 PM. The Academy will be held at the Napa County Sheriff’s Department, located at 1535 Airport Blvd., Napa.
Qualifications - Applicants must:
- Be at least 18 years of age
- Not have any prior felony or misdemeanor convictions that imply moral corruption
- Be able to handle graphic material
- Live or work in Napa County
- The deadline to submit an application was 5 PM on Monday, February 20, 2023. Please check back for 2024 dates.
- In order for selected participants to receive the best possible experience, class size will be strictly limited to 20 students.
- Selection will be based on factors designed to reach the broadest possible demographics of Napa County.