In response to the current Health Order, we have implemented COVID-19 prevention protocols, including modifications to our submittal processes to reduce the need to visit our office, as follows:
For New Submittals:
- Email your COMPLETED permit application to [email protected] with a clear and thorough scope of work. Do not forget to enter the valuation. In subject line of email please include what type permit you are applying for (i.e. Application for reroof permit).
- Use the Scope of Work form if needed: https://www.countyofnapa.org/DocumentCenter/View/3596/Scope-of-Work-PDF )
- We will create a permit number and assess fees based on the information in your scope of work. (Additional fees will be assessed as needed once the plans have been processed. Credits will be applied for fees paid if determined they were not necessary.)
- You will then receive an email with the permit number and amount due for plan check as well as instructions for submitting your plans.
For Resubmittals (Responding to Comment Letters) and Alteration Requests (Request to alter an Issued Permit):
Include the following items and either mail them in or bring them into our office (8am-4pm Monday through Friday) and place them on the cart marked for drop-offs – No plastic bags/report covers etc. Once processed, the applicant will either be contacted to provide additional details or the plans will be routed for Plan Check.
- Completed and Signed Resubmittal form or Completed Alteration Request form
- Comment response letter for resubmittal or a narrative of changes if needed for Alteration Request
- 3 complete sets of plans (If alteration cloud and mark with delta all the changes and include valuation change.)
- 2 sets of updated supplemental documents-do not bring in previously submitted duplicate sets
Scope of Work https://www.countyofnapa.org/DocumentCenter/View/3596/Scope-of-Work-PDF
Residential Application Form https://www.countyofnapa.org/DocumentCenter/View/3587/Residential-Permit-Application-PDF
Commercial Application Form https://www.countyofnapa.org/DocumentCenter/View/3591/Commercial-Permit-Application-PDF
Please note: due to COVID-19 Prevention Protocols, Same Day Over-the-Counter reviews are currently not available; as an alternative, we have implemented an Express Review Process to allow for expedited review of eligible permit types. For more information.
The 2019 California Building Standards Code (California Code Regulations, Title 24) was published on July 1, 2019, with an effective date of January 1, 2020. As of January 1, 2020, all applications for building permits will follow the 2019 California Building Code (CBC) (2019 Title 24 Code of Regulations).
- For new submittals: Applicants will not be able to submit any documents that reference previous building codes (2016 CBC, etc.) Your submittal will only be accepted if it referenced the 2019 Codes.
- For resubmittals on permit applications (not yet issued) submitted in 2019 or prior, follow the code in effect at the time of original submittal.
- For revisions on all issued permits effective January 1, 2020 please reference the code in effect at the time of original submittal.
New Inspection Scheduling System! As of April 1, 2020, we have a new Automated Phone System for scheduling your Building Inspections via phone or text. Please refer to the Inspections and Select Text Scheduling Guide (Flier) and our handy Automated Inspection Scheduling System Tri-Fold Guide to keep handy in your car. Before you call in to the new automated scheduling system, please review the Guide, then call or text to schedule your inspection(s), and make sure you receive a confirmation for each type of inspection you are scheduling.
Online Permit Center (OPC) - Check Status of Your Permit
Notice - Deferred Submittals
Effective November 1, 2017, Napa County Building Department will no longer accept Deferred Submittals without prior approval by the Chief Building Official on all projects. This includes Truss (Floor and Roof) Calculation Packages. Please adjust your initial building plan submittals to include all of the required documents to submit a complete application package. Incomplete application submittal packages will not be accepted.
Fire Related Information
If you have been affected by the recent fires, visit the Rebuilding After the Fire website.
Building & Development
If you have questions about permitting, building codes, construction violations, or general building safety, please use the informational links provided or give us a call before visiting our public counter.
The Building Division is responsible for managing the construction permitting process. This process includes general public information, plan submittal, plan review, permit issuance, inspection and document retention.Link to page
Building & Construction Inspection
The Construction Inspection Unit is responsible for on-site inspections to ensure a building is constructed according to the approved plans and code requirements.Link to page
Express Review Program
The Napa County Building Department now approves permits for certain projects in one business day.Link to page
Fees & PaymentsLink to page
The Building and Development Division has a number of applications, submittal forms and informational documents to help you with your building and development needs.Link to page
Email the Building Division
Contact emails for the Building DivisionLink to page
Documents, Forms & Information
Information and technical guidance on all types of projects via Division handouts, by phone, or in person at the Public Counter.
Permit Process & Application
Building and construction permitting process, plan submittal, plan review, permit issuance, document retention, development approvals required by others, and scheduling of inspections.
Note: Plan Sets are accepted with just three copies, but no larger than 24 inches by 36 inches.
Next day inspection services for building, electrical, mechanical, plumbing, disabled access, energy efficiency, and monitoring of the inspection process.
Investigation of citizen complaints of County Code violations, through inspection, notification, communication and issuance of citations.