Building Permit Process
Effective January 1, 2024, All Building Permit Applications will be handled digitally through the Online Permit Center. Follow these steps for the Building Permit Application process:
Step 1: Location and Project Type
- This building permit application process is for projects located in the unincorporated areas of Napa County. To determine if your property is in the unincorporated County, you can use the Napa County Public Map to look up information about your property with either the address or Assessor Parcel Number (APN). Note: building permits for properties in cities and towns are handled by those jurisdictions directly.
- Determine if your project requires a permit. Most work does require a permit, visit Codes (ca.gov) for new 2022 California Building Standards Codes.
Step 2: Gather Required Documents
- Use the Building Permit Matrix to determine the requirements and process for your project type. Review the requirements and gather documents needed to submit a complete application for your project type.
- If Document Files are required to be provided for your project type, the document files must comply with Napa County’s Electronic Submittal Standards.
- NOTE: Failure to attach required documents in the required format will cause your application to be delayed or rejected. One of the most common issues we see is document files that are missing the required bookmarks.
Step 3: Submit Application through the Online Permit Center
- Log into your Online Permit Center account. First time applicants will need to register for an account, check out our Online Permit Center: Getting Started.
- Select the appropriate Record Type for your project, as follows:
- “Submittal Applications” are used for Commercial and Residential building permits that require a plan review.
- “Online Applications” are only used for Residential building HVAC, Roof, or Water Heater Replacements.
- Follow the Online Permit Center step by step guide to complete building permit application online.
Step 4: Plan Review Process
- Depending on the project type, plan review may be necessary across multiple Napa County Divisions; if so, fees are collected prior to the plan review beginning. Applicants will receive an email with a balance due amount and instructions to complete the payment through the Online Permit Center.
- Plan Review timeframes will depend on the project type and size, as noted in the Building Permit Matrix:
- Express: 3-5 Business Days
- Quick: 7-10 Business Days
- Standard: 28 Business Days
- If plan review corrections are needed, the applicant will receive an email regarding corrections needed and how to resubmit once corrections are addressed. For more information, visit the Building Plan Review Process
Step 5: Permit Issuance
- Once all divisions have approved the plan review, the additional permit and inspections fees are invoiced to the permit. An email will be sent to the applicant with balance due amount. Once payment is received the permit will be issued.
- Applicants will receive an email with instructions to print all documents, including permit card, inspection card, residential smoke alarm verification form and approved plan sets to post at job site.
Step 6: Inspections
- Schedule a building inspection by calling or online, visit the Inspection Scheduling site for additional details.