Attention Customers. Due to recent staff shortages and increased applications, the Building Division is experiencing delays in permit processing. We have brought in additional outside consultant services and staff to minimize any delays. We thank you for your patience and understanding at this time and look forward to returning to our normal level of service as soon as possible.
Ready to apply for a building permit? Start here….
The Building Division has four main type of building permit reviews. Please see the Building Permit Matrix for a comprehensive guide on which process your project qualifies for.
Express Review Permits
Quick Permit is an accelerated building permit process for minor projects that qualify as "Quick Permits." Not all permit types qualify. The types of projects that would qualify are limited by size and scope and would be Residential. Please see our information sheet: Quick Permit Overview
Please see submittal guidelines below to submit your application. Once your application has been processed you will receive an email with instructions on submitting your plans for review. All completed submittal packages for the Quick Permit program will be plan reviewed and you may receive comments on the plans within 7 to 10 business days.
Standard permits would be all commercial projects and any residential projects that would not qualify for the above processes. Please see submittal guidelines below to submit your application. Once your application has been processed you will receive an email with instructions on submitting your plans for review. All completed submittal packages for Standard Review will be plan reviewed and you may receive comments on the plans within 28 business days.
Submittal Process for Quick and Standard Permits
In response to the County Health Order, we have implemented COVID-19 preventions protocols, including modifications to our submittal processes to reduce the need to visit our office.
Please be aware due to the demand and workflow at this time emails and phone calls are taking 24-48 hours for a response.
We thank you in advance for your patience and ask that our clients allow us to reply to your email or phone call as calling or emailing multiple times adds to the backlog and prevents other clients from receiving our services in a timely manner.
For New Submittals:
- Email your COMPLETED permit application to [email protected] with a clear and thorough scope of work. Do not forget to enter the valuation. In subject line of email please include what type permit you are applying for (i.e. Application for reroof permit).
- Use the Scope of Work form if needed: https://www.countyofnapa.org/DocumentCenter/View/3596/Scope-of-Work-PDF )
- We will create a permit number and assess fees based on the information in your scope of work. (Additional fees will be assessed as needed once the plans have been processed. Credits will be applied for fees paid if determined they were not necessary.)
- You will then receive an email with the permit number and amount due for plan check as well as instructions for submitting your plans. Due to the workload in the office this may take up to 2 days for you to receive this email.
For Resubmittals (Responding to Comment Letters) and Alteration Requests (Request to alter an Issued Permit):
Include the following items and either mail them in or bring them into our office (8am-4pm Monday through Friday) and place them on the cart marked for drop-offs – No plastic bags/report covers etc. Once processed, the applicant will either be contacted to provide additional details or the plans will be routed for Plan Check.
- Completed and Signed Resubmittal form or Completed Alteration Request form
- Comment response letter for resubmittal or a narrative of changes if needed for Alteration Request
- 3 complete sets of plans (If alteration cloud and mark with delta all the changes and include valuation change.)
- 2 sets of updated supplemental documents-do not bring in previously submitted duplicate sets
Scope of Work https://www.countyofnapa.org/DocumentCenter/View/3596/Scope-of-Work-PDF
Residential Application Form https://www.countyofnapa.org/DocumentCenter/View/3587/Residential-Permit-Application-PDF
Commercial Application Form https://www.countyofnapa.org/DocumentCenter/View/3591/Commercial-Permit-Application-PDF