Express Permit Program
To comply with current health orders, we have implemented COVID-19 Prevention Protocols to modify certain Public Counter operations and submittal processes. The Same Day Review program has been changed and is now the Express Permit Program. All permits for Express Permit program will be handled digitally.
Listed below are the type of projects that qualify for the Express Permits. Please verify that your project qualifies before emailing your submittal.
**Please note that re-Roofs, HVAC change outs, and water heaters are still Over the Counter permits and can be applied by emailing your application to [email protected] or dropping off the permit application in the office to be processed. Do not submit them as an Express Permit.
Process to submit for an Express Permit:
Create a user account on the Online Permit Center - How-To-Register-for-Online-Permit-Center-Account-OPC
Please submit an email to [email protected] with the subject line “Application for an Express Permit” and include the following:
Your OPC user name (you’ll be able to check the status of your application, pay fees, and schedule inspections)
Attach a completed Residential Permit Application
Attach your plans in PDF format (follow the attachment requirements in #3
Attach your plans to the email in PDF format. All files should be less than 8 MB. Please use the following naming convention for your files.
For all electronic plans submittal requirements as far as fonts and colors allowed, flattening and other requirements, please refer to the Electronic Submittal Standards document. All plans must comply with the standards and may be rejected for review if they do not comply.
File naming Requirements:
When submitting your documents please use the following naming convention:
Address+document type+version number
Files must be named by document type to concisely describe the contents of the file document. Applications with files not named consistent with listed types below may be rejected: Please us the following table for document type naming.
Use in file name
Complete project plan set including architectural and civil
Application and County Forms
Application, Agent Authorization and any County form
Energy Calculations, other related forms
Structural calculation, truss calculations
Includes cut sheet, special inspection letters, etc…)
All complete submittals will be reviewed for completeness. Once accepted you will receive and email notifying you that your plans have been passed along for plan review. Please note that Express Permit reviews are handled Monday-Thursday. Turn around times are dependent on the amount of applications we have received and are processed in the order they are received.
If you do not have the availability to submit your plans electronically they can be processed as a Quick Permit. Please refer here for the process to submit for a quick permit. Also, please be advised that hardcopy plans submitted to the office will be placed on hold for one day once they are received according to our COVID-19 Prevention Protocols.
Express Review Project Types - Residential only
Please note: Projects in the floodplain or floodway and those projects requiring additional permits from Planning or Environmental Management do not qualify for express review.
- Noncommercial Agriculture Buildings: Less than 600 square feet, single-story, not more than 15 feet in height and not the first structure on the property.
- Carports: Less than 600 square feet
- Decks: Residential under 600 square feet not over 1 level and not more than 8 feet above grade.
- Electrical Service Upgrades and New Service Panels: Not exceeding 600 amps.
- Residential Electric Vehicle (EV) Charging Stations: Type 1 and Type 2.
- Pre-manufactured Greenhouses: Less than 600 square feet
- Mechanical Buildings (pump houses): Structure only, and a floor area less than 600 square feet
- Residential Outdoor Fireplaces and Fire Pits: Freestanding only.
- Residential Solar Systems: 15 kilowatt (kW) or less.
- Residential Detached Outdoor Kitchens: Less than 600 square feet in floor area and open on 3 sides.
- Propane Tanks: Above ground and under 500 gallons.
- Residential Retaining Walls: Not cave portals and not associated with road and structure surcharge loads.
- Trellis, Gazebos, and Patio Covers: Less than 600 square feet
- Residential Storage Buildings: Under 600 square feet, conventionally framed, unconditioned and without plumbing.
- Residential accessory metal storage containers.
- Master Plan Swimming Pools: Residential.
- Master Plan Water Tanks: 10,000 gallons or less.
- Window and Door Replacement: with no structural alterations.
- Interior Dwelling Alterations: which do not affect the exterior or interior load-bearing walls, or result in a renovation of 50% or more of the entire space.
- Entry Gates and Fences: Only Those not requiring special fence permits.
- Small changes in roof pitch.
- Siding repair and replacement
- Demo Permits (residential only).