In-Home Supportive Services
In-Home Supportive Services (IHSS) is a Medi-Cal program that is funded by county, state and federal dollars. The goal of the IHSS program is to allow low income aged, blind, and disabled persons, who are at risk for out-of-home placement, to remain safely at home by providing payment for care provider services.
IHSS care providers may provide personal care services such as: bathing and grooming, dressing, and toileting as well as domestic services such as: house cleaning, meal preparation / cleanup, shopping, and laundry. Services are authorized based on the functional needs of the client and in accordance with program rules and regulations.
An applicant must:
- Live in Napa County
- Be a U.S citizen or qualified alien and a California resident
- Be aged, blind or have a permanent disability expected to last 12 months or more
- Receive Medi-Cal (with or without share of cost) or SSI / SSP benefits
- Be living at home. Home is any place the applicant chooses to live and could be a house, apartment, hotel or the home of a relative.
- Be 'at risk' of out of home placement, such as a skilled nursing facility or board and care, if they do not receive IHSS
- Have a licensed health care professional complete a Health Care Certification form Opens a New Window. verifying the applicant needs IHSS
To apply online you may fill out an application referral form and email it to IHSS Intake as an attachment.
Emailed, mailed and faxed applicant referral forms will receive a return communication with a confirmation number. If you do not receive a confirmation number within one week of submission please call our office.
Referrals can be made by the applicant or on their behalf with the applicant’s knowledge and agreement. The easiest way to apply for services is to call Comprehensive Services for Older Adults at 253-6272 and ask to make an IHSS referral. You may also come into the office and apply in person or send us a referral form via fax. Our contact info is:
650 Imperial Way
Napa, CA 94559
Phone: (707) 253-6272
Fax: (707) 253-6117
When making a referral, be prepared with the following information:
- Diagnosis / disability information
- Primary care doctor
- Social security number
- Telephone number
- Applicant's date of birth
If you suspect fraud in the IHSS program, please contact the Department of Health Care Services IHSS fraud hotline at 888-717-8302.