The Code Compliance Division of the Planning, Building, and Environmental Services Department is responsible for enforcing the State and County Codes, which include the Zoning Ordinance, and the California Building Codes pertaining to private residential and commercial properties in the unincorporated areas of Napa County. Enforceable codes include, but are not limited to:
- Public Nuisances
- Property maintenance
- Excessive debris and materials in front yard
- Zoning Code
- Land use violations
- Short term rentals
- Winery compliance
- Conservation Violations
- Creek/Stream setback
- Vegetation and land clearing
- Building Code Violations
- Construction without a building permit
- Substandard buildings
- Change of building occupancy without permits (ex. Barn being used for residential purposes).
Complaints related to alleged violations are received in various ways; citizen complaints, department and staff observations. Complaints that have an imminent threat of public safety are immediately referred to and handled by the appropriate department, and all other complaints are prioritized by the severity of the violation.
Reporting Code Violations
If you believe you have a violation to report, confirm the property is located within the unincorporated area of the County, and please fill out a complaint form. If you are unsure if your property is located within the City of unincorporated County, please call 707-253-4675. The complaint will be directed to the Code Compliance Division and an investigation will begin. All complaints are kept confidential and may be submitted using the citizen complaint form.
When filling out the complaint form, please include your name and contact information so that the Code Compliance Office may contact you if they have additional questions. The form will be emailed to the department and routed to a Code Compliance Officer. You may also call and submit a complaint by telephone (707-253-4675) or submit a complaint in person at our offices at: 1195 Third Street, Second Floor, Napa, CA 94559
Available Code Enforcement Information
- View frequently asked questions for Code Compliance (PDF) Opens a New Window.
- Code Compliance Policies and Procedures Manual (PDF)
- Extension Request - 2016 (PDF)
- 5 Request for Hearing (PDF)
- pens a New Window. 6 Advance Deposit Hardship Waiver App (PDF)
- Hot Air Balloon Certification of Unauthorized Trespass (Link)
- Resolution No. 2018-164 – Board Direction for the Code Compliance Program