Caregiver Permit Program

Napa County is the only county in California to require home care providers to apply for and carry a Caregiver Permit.

The permit means that the holder has passed a background check, has verified that they are free of active tuberculosis and has a permit to work as a caregiver in your home.  For more information:

Safe & Secure in Your Own Home

More than a million Americans aged 65 and older are injured, exploited, or otherwise mistreated each year by people they depend on for care or protection. The Napa County Commission on Aging works to keep elders and dependent adults safe and secure when they hire caregivers to help them with daily living activities in their own home. Insist that the caregiver you hire has a valid permit every year. Ask to see their laminated permit with their photo, permit number, and expiration date.

Tips for Hiring Caregivers

  • Call references and call past employers
  • Ask around to see if anyone knows the person
  • Ask a trusted friend or family member to help you interview prospective caregivers
  • Ask about the specific experience working as a caregiver
  • If assistance is needed with bill paying, consider hiring an accounting firm
  • Once you’ve hired someone, don’t be shy about firing them if you feel uncomfortable, your lifestyle has changed considerably, if you suspect they are taking advantage of you, or if they are asking about things that are none of their business
  • Don’t allow them to use your debit or credit cards or to have access to any of your financial information

Take Care!

If you think someone has taken advantage of you or has abused you in some way, contact your local law enforcement agency (listed below) and make a report. Your report may help identify other victims and may help prevent someone else from becoming victimized. If you need assistance making a police report or you are not sure if you’ve been victimized, please contact Napa County Adult Protective Services at 707-253-4398.

  • Adult Protective Services Phone: 707-253-4398
  • American Canyon Police Phone: 707-648-2658
  • Calistoga Police Phone: 707-942-2810
  • Napa Police Phone: 707-257-9223
  • St. Helena Police Phone: 707-967-2850
  • Napa Sheriff’s Office Phone: 707-253-4451

There are other resources in this community that may help you. The Area Agency on Aging Serving Napa and Solano is dedicated to providing services that help improve the quality of life of the seniors in our community.

Caregiver Permits are a joint venture among Napa County; the cities of Napa, American Canyon, St. Helena and Calistoga; the Town of Yountville; and the Area Agency on Aging Serving Napa and Solano.