FEMA Special Flood Hazard Area Information

Special Flood Hazard Areas (SFHA) are designated by the Federal Emergency Management Association (FEMA) as land areas facing a 1.0-percent (100-year flood) or 0.2-percent (500-year flood) chance of flooding each year. All private development within the 100-year flood zone is regulated by the Engineering Division with the goal of ensuring the protection of life and property for those who are situated in these areas. 

Community Rating System (CRS)

The County of Napa Engineering Services division is the floodplain management agency for Napa County and has opted to participate in FEMA’s CRS. Participating in this program allows the County of Napa to earn discounted flood insurance rates for all community members. By following the guidelines set forth by FEMA, the County of Napa earns a CRS credit. As the community earns a higher CRS credit, the community is eligible for greater flood insurance discounts. Napa County's current CRS is 7. 

As part of the CRS the County prepares an annual progress report on our Hazard Mitigation Plan (HMP) objective to promote a flood safer community, a copy this report is available here:

By working together, we all strive towards educating ourselves and helping the community. Please find more information on how you can participate in Napa Flood and Water Resources.

Elevation Certificates

The Elevation Certificate is an important administrative tool of the National Flood Insurance Program (NFIP). It is used to provide elevation information necessary to ensure compliance with Napa County's floodplain management ordinance, to determine the proper insurance premium rate, and to support a request for a Letter of Map Amendment (LOMA) or Letter of Map Revision based on fill (LOMR-F). For information on how to properly complete an Elevation Certificate, please watch the Elevation Certificate Training video series at the link below.

Note: The County of Napa Engineering Services Division keeps Elevation Certificates on file. Non-classified information is available upon request

Napa County Useful Links

FEMA Construction Guidelines (Technical Bulletins & Other)

Additional Useful Links from FEMA