CalFresh is California's version of the federal Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP) that provides assistance for households to purchase nutritious food. The program uses Electronic Benefit Transfer (EBT) to allow recipients to buy food (including seeds and seedlings to grow food) at retail stores and farmers markets using a plastic debit card. Visit the Official California CalFresh website.


  • US citizens (Except persons receiving SSI/SSP benefits)
  • Legal Permanent Residents (Except persons receiving SSI/SSP benefits)


While an eligibility worker can tell you exactly what you will need, You may be asked to provide things like:

  • Identification (does not need to be a picture  identification)
  • Social Security number
  • Proof of any income
  • Proof of expenses - rent, childcare, child support paid, medical expenses, etc.

How Do I Apply for CalFresh?

  • Submit an online application
  • Request an application be mailed to you
  • Pick up an application at our Self Sufficiency Services office (bilingual assistance is available):
    • 2751 Napa Valley Corporate Drive
      Building A, 1st Floor
      Napa, CA 94558
      Monday though Friday
      8 a.m. to 5 p.m.

The Application Process

Step 1: Complete an application.
Step 2: Talk to a staff member and get an appointment.
Step 3: Have an interview (usually on the phone but can be in person if you choose).
Step 4: Turn in any proof we need (upload it, mail it, or drop it off).
Step 5: The Eligibility Worker sees if you are eligible for benefits. If you are, benefits are added to your EBT card. You can get a new card in the office or by mail if you need one.

Where Do I Turn In My Application?

Income Requirements

Income requirements depend on a lot of things, including the number of people who buy and prepare food with you, and what expenses you have. Now there are two gross income limits, but just one net income limit.  The net income limit is the most you can after we remove all allowable deductions from your gross income.  Most people qualify for Modified Categorical Eligibility (MCE) and can have a higher GROSS income limit. A worker can tell you more about MCE-just ask!

Household Size

Maximum Gross
Income MCE

Maximum Gross Income Non-MCE

Maximum Net Income