To obtain copies of records that are more than 12 months old, please visit the Napa County Clerk Recorders Office Monday through Friday, 8:00 AM to 5:00 PM.
Certified Birth Certificates $28
The Office of Vital Statistics is mandated to issue a birth record without fee to an eligible homeless person. Eligible persons must present an affidavit signed by an agent for a homeless services provider to receive a fee-exempt copy.
Methods of Payment
- Check or Money Order (Payment made to "County of Napa")
- Credit or Debit Card (there is a fee of $2.50 for this service)
Who Can Obtain an Authorized Copy?
Pursuant to Health and Safety Code 103526c, the following individuals are entitled to an AUTHORIZED Certified Copy of a birth record.
- The person listed on the certificate (registrant) or a parent or legal guardian of the registrant
- A child, grandparent, grandchild, sibling, spouse or domestic partner of the registrant
- A party entitled to receive the record as a result of a court order, or an attorney or a licensed adoption agency seeking the birth record in order to comply with the requirements of Section 3140 or 7603 of the Family Code
- A member of a law enforcement agency or a representative of another governmental agency, as provided by law, who is conducting official business
- An attorney representing the registrant or the registrant's estate, or any person or agency empowered by statute or appointed by a court to act on behalf of the registrant or the registrant's estate
How to Apply
- Applications can be submitted during regular business hours, Monday through Friday, 8:30-11:30 AM and 1:00-4:00 PM.
- Applicant must complete a Birth Certificate Application Form and sign the sworn statement in the presence of Vital Records staff.
- Applicant must pay the $28 fee per copy requested
- Applicant must complete a Birth Certificate Application Form and sign the sworn statement in the presence of a notary public
- Applicant must mail the application, sworn statement, and the $28 fee per copy requested to
Napa County Vital Statistics
2751 Napa Valley Corporate Drive
Napa, CA 94558
- Mail-In Application for Birth Record (English) (PDF)
- Mail-In Application for Birth Record (Spanish) (PDF)
- Please do not send cash
- Please allow 2-3 weeks to receive your documents
If the country to which you are traveling requires an Apostille or Certification, you must obtain a certified copy of the record from the Napa County Recorder. The California Secretary of State will only provide authentication of the County Clerk or Recorder’s signature. To obtain copies of these records, contact the Napa County Registrar-Recorder.
Update a Birth Certificate
If there is incorrect or missing information on your child's birth certificate, you may make a request for an amendment. The Office of Vital Statistics can assist in preparing or requesting amendments to birth certificates for all years of birth.
Please contact us by phone or email for assistance.