Register as a Caregiver

Thank you for taking the time to learn about the Caregiver Registration requirements. Here is what you need to know:

You Must Register if:

  1. You work in Napa County and provide in-home care for any form of compensation (including room and board).
  2. You are an In-Home Supportive Services (IHSS) care provider who also provides care to private client(s) who do not receive IHSS services.
  3. You work for a caregiver referral agency or other entity that is not licensed by the State.

You are Not required to Register if:

  1. You are licensed by the State (e.g. Register Nurse, Licensed Vocational Nurse, Certified Nursing Assistant) and can provide proof of a current license.
  2. You are an IHSS care provider who only works for IHSS recipient(s).
  3. You voluntarily provide in-home care.
  4. You work for a Home Care Organization licensed by the State.

How do I Register?

  1. Log onto the State’s Home Care Aide Registry and submit an electronic application.  The application fee is $35.00.
  2. Print the completed Livescan form (LIC9163), take it to a Livescan location and pay the fee (approximately $59-$75) to have your fingerprints Livescanned.  View Livescan locations.  You have 30 days from the date you complete the on-line application to have your fingerprints Livescanned.  If you do not complete this step within the required time period, you will have to start the application process over and pay another $35.00.
  3. After you submit your electronic application, call the Caregiver Hotline at 707-259-8789 or email Caregiver Registrationand provide the Caregiver Coordinator with the following information in order to verify that you have started the State’s registration process:
    • First and last name
    • Telephone number
    • Email address
    • Date of birth
    • State PER ID Number
    • City you live in
    • Yes or No - do you want to receive notices about training and/or other information via email?
    • Yes or No - do you want to have your name and contact information referred out to people looking for caregivers?
  4. Submit to the Caregiver Coordinator documentation that you have tested negative for tuberculosis.  You can submit documentation in person at Comprehensive Services for Older Adults (CSOA), 650 Imperial Way, Napa, CA, 94559, attention: Caregiver Coordinator OR you can scan and email documentation to Caregiver Registration.

What happens next?

The Livescan location where you were fingerprinted will electronically submit your fingerprints to the California Department of Justice (DOJ) and they will conduct a criminal history check. If you have no criminal history, the DOJ will forward a clearance notice to you and to the Caregiver Background Check Bureau (CBCB).  The State will then send you notification that your registration has been approved.  Upon receipt of this notification, please contact the Caregiver Coordinator at 707-259-8789 or email Caregiver Registration to notify us that your registration has been approved.

If you have a criminal history, the DOJ sends a criminal record transcript to CBCB showing arrests and convictions. The CBCB staff will review the transcript and if the convictions are for crimes that may be exempted, the CBCB will send you an exemption notification letter. The letter explains how to request an exemption and lists the documents/information that must be submitted to request an exemption. You may not provide in-home care until an exemption is granted by the CBCB. 

Your registration is valid for two years, at which time you will be required to renew your registration if you are still providing in-home care for compensation.  The renewal fee is $35.00 but you do not have to pay to have your fingerprints Livescanned again. 

Laws & Disqualifications   

If you have been convicted of a crime other than a minor traffic violation, you cannot provide in-home care unless you receive a criminal record exemption from the CBCB. A criminal record exemption is a CDSS-authorized written document that "exempts" you from the requirement of having a criminal record clearance.  View a list of non-exemptible crimes.

Remember that providing care to an elder or dependent adult without registering through the State’s Home Care Aide Registry is against the law.  You may be prosecuted by the Napa County District Attorney if you are found to be providing care without a current registration status.  Read Napa County’s Elder and Dependent Adult Protection Law.  

Limited Permits

If have committed a non-exemptible crime, you may be eligible for a Limited Permit.  A Limited Permit allows you to work for a care recipient who has signed a waiver acknowledging that they are aware of your criminal history and would still like to employ you.  To apply for a Limited Permit, please call the Caregiver Coordinator at 707-259-8789 or email the Caregiver Coordinator.