CalFresh ABAWD Work Requirement
Napa County is under an ABAWD waiver and ABAWDs are not currently subject to a time limit.
When Napa County is not under an ABAWD waiver, some CalFresh recipients will be required to meet federal work requirements. The rules apply to any CalFresh recipient between the ages of 18-49 without a child living in the home.
Work Requirement Exemptions
You may be exempt from the work requirement if you are one of the following:
- Under 18 or over 49
- Earning at least $218 a week or working at least 20 hours per week on average.
- Living in a CalFresh household with a person under age 18
- Going to a school, college/university or training program at least half-time, including any Office of Refugee Resettlement (ORR) training program
- Have a physical, mental or emotional disability that stops you from working
- Complying with CalWORKs Welfare to Work requirements
- Caring for a child under age 6 or someone who is ill or disabled
- Applying for or getting unemployment insurance
- Applying for or getting disability benefits or veterans’ disability benefits
- Participating in a drug or alcohol treatment program or struggling with addiction
- Unable to work due to conditions related to domestic violence
- Unable to work due to conditions related to chronic homelessness
Complete this screening form to help us find out whether you may qualify for an exemption. PDF PDF PDF Bring it with you when you see an Eligibility Specialist.
Meeting CalFresh Work Requirements
When the ABAWD waiver ends, if you are not exempt from working, you will be required to participate in approved activities to continue receiving CalFresh benefits. You can meet work requirements by doing one or a combination of the following:
- Working at least 20 hours per week, on average 80 hours per month
- Participating in a CalFresh Employment & Training or other approved employment training program for at least 20 hours per week.
- Volunteering or performing community service for at least 20 hours per week
Interested in jobs or training? Call Napa Employment Connection at 707-253-4134 to inquire about CalFresh Employment & Training or other employment & job resources that we can refer you to.
Need help or have questions?
Call Us: Main Line 707-253-4511 or Toll Free 800-464-4214 (8 AM - 5 PM, Monday - Friday)
Visit Us: Office Locations