Wildfire Debris Clean-up and Rebuilding FAQs

Para obtener información y apoyo en español, llame a la línea de información del Condado de Napa al 707-299-1350.

Updated June 1, 2021

General Information about Consolidated Debris Removal (Phase I Household Hazardous Waste (HHW) and Phase II Debris and Ash Removal)

The magnitude of the 2020 wildfires has greatly impacted Napa County. State and Federal agencies have been called in to provide additional resources for responding to the disaster.  As Napa County moves into the recovery phase from the 2020 Wildfires, the safe and appropriate removal of household hazardous waste (HHW) and debris and ash is a County priority. The improper handling and disposal of hazardous material may impact you, the environment, and the general public health. A local public health emergency has been declared. As a result, HHW must be removed from burned properties.  

Debris and ash from residential and commercial fires contain hazardous materials, created through the burning of synthetic and toxic materials. Household products such as gasoline, cleaning products, pesticides, freon, lead, asbestos, and other chemicals may have been stored in homes, garages, or sheds that burned in the fire.  These materials can be present in the ash and soil following a fire. Exposures can occur by sifting through ash and debris, causing ash to become airborne and inhaled or ingested. 

What is the Consolidated Debris Removal Program?

The Consolidated Debris Removal Program has two phases: Phase I, the removal of household hazardous waste and Phase II, the removal of other remaining fire-related debris. Additional documents, details and frequently asked questions are included below for your reference.

CalOES 2020 Consolidated Debris Removal Program FAQs (PDF)

CalOES 2020 Consolidated Debris Removal Program Infographic (PDF) 

What does Phase I entail?

Phase I is the mandatory inspection and removal process of hazardous wastes from all burned properties before the removal of structural debris and ash.  The local public health declaration allows for a government agency to enter properties to assess and remove hazardous waste, and conduct assessments to ensure hazards are mitigated. County, state and federal agencies organize teams of experts to inspect your property and remove any household hazardous waste that may pose a threat to human health, animals, and the environment such as batteries, herbicides, pesticides, propane tanks, asbestos siding, and paints. You do not need to do anything to have household hazardous waste (HHW) removed from your property.   

What does Phase II entail?

Phase II is the removal of structural debris and ash from a property once Phase I is complete.  There are generally two options for Phase II debris and ash removal; a government option and a private option.  

The government option is generally completed by CalOES and CalRecycle working for and under the direction of FEMA.  This option requires submittal of the Right of Entry (ROE) document.  The government option is done at no cost to the property owner. However, if owners have fire debris removal insurance they are required to assign that portion of the insurance proceeds to the County to cover the cost of debris removal.

The private option allows owners or their qualified contractors to remove debris and ash. To choose this option, after Phase I is complete property owners will submit a Debris and Ash Removal (DAR) Application and Plan and must comply with all the requirements contained therein. Private work completed under an approved plan shall be at property owners’ expense. There will be no subsidy through local, State or Federal government. Additional Requirement for homes/structures built before 1990: Owners must first have the property assessed by a Certified Asbestos Abatement Consultant. Any asbestos identified by the consultant must be removed by a licensed Asbestos Abatement Contractor. An asbestos survey/removal report must be provided prior to the acceptance of a DAR application and Plan. 

NEW! What will happen if I do not complete the private Debris and Ash Removal (DAR) Plan debris removal process by the September 1, 2021 deadline?

Property owners that have not completed the private Debris and Ash Removal (DAR) Plan cleanup process by the deadline of September 1, 2021, may be abated by court order and a lien placed on their property for the cost. Documentation of cleanup including the Self-Certification form (Attachment B), soil sampling report and receipts for disposal of debris and ash may be submitted by mail or in person to: Napa County Planning, Building & Environmental Services (PBES).Call the Napa County PBES Wildfire Assistance Hotline (707) 299-1350 for questions or additional information. 

What happens if a property owner does not submit the paperwork to either enroll in the government debris removal program or submit a Debris and Ash Removal (DAR) Application and Plan by the deadline?

Property owners that fail to file the necessary paperwork by the deadline of February 1, 2021, may be abated by court order and a lien placed on their property for the cost. Call the Napa County PBES Wildfire Assistance Hotline (707) 299-1350 for help with debris removal paperwork.

During Phase I, will we need to be there, or can we be there, during this process?

Owners are not required to be present for the Household Hazardous Waste Sweep. The safety of the general public and workers is a priority during HHW Sweep. To prevent safety hazards, the public is encouraged to stay away from areas where HHW Sweep operations are underway. Exclusion zones will be established surrounding the current work area to ensure safety of the public.

Can I be sued by the government agency or contractor that is removing Household Hazardous Waste from my property?

No. Household Hazardous Waste contractors will be licensed and insured, and their insurance will cover any injuries or damage to equipment that occurs during the Household Hazardous Waste removal process. 

If there are people or workers on my property, how will I know if they are authorized by the State's Consolidated Debris Removal Program?

The State has provided information and a list of authorized debris removal teams for work to be conducted in Napa County, resulting from the Hennessey Fire and Glass Fire. Please refer to the Who's on my Property (PDF) document for details.

If I lost my home in the fire, what are the requirements for placing a temporary trailer on my lot or another lot?

There are specific requirements for placing a trailer on your own property or on a friend or neighbor’s property. Please review the information from PBES and the Public Health Officer, and also review the building permit requirements available on the PBES Building Division Web page. It is important that you review both these documents before making an application to the PBES Building Division.  All temporary trailers must meet the siting requirements, be connected to approved power and water supply, and be connected to an approved sewer or septic system. Hauling in water or pumping trailer wastewater tanks is not allowed.

How will I know if Phase I is complete on my property?

For the Hennessey Fire, the State Department of Toxic Substances Control should post a notice on your property that Phase I is complete. DTSC also has an interactive map that can be accessed here: DTSC Map for LNU Lightning Complex HHW Phase I Progress.

For the Glass Fire, as soon as information on a Phase I is available, this site will be updated with status information.

If I have a locked gate or other issues with access on my property, what should I do?

Please provide the information below by contacting Planning, Building and Environmental Services (PBES) at (707) 299-1350 during normal business hours or by email at [email protected] to provide your name, property address, email, phone number, and information related to access on your property (e.g. locked gate, etc.). You can also provide your property, access, and contact information online at: Property Owner Contact Information Form.

If my house was damaged or destroyed by the wildfire, what paperwork do I need to submit for the debris clean-up and is there a deadline?

For specific Phase I and Phase II Debris Clean-up information available related to the Hennessey Fire and the Glass Fire, please visit the following page: Hennessey Fire and Glass Fire Phase I and Phase II Documents and Instructions.  Please contact Napa County Planning, Building and Environmental Services (PBES) at (707) 299-1350 or [email protected] for more information or general questions related to wildfire debris and ash removal.   

What do I do about fire damaged wells and septic systems?  

Please review the Fire Disaster Response for Water and Septic document for general information. Please refer to the FEMA assistance with private wells and septic systems document for resources for that may be available from FEMA that are not covered by insurance. Additional information regarding private wells, springs, and septic systems are available on the Environmental Health website.

I have debris removal insurance or plan to finance my own debris removal. Will I be allowed to conduct cleanup on my own?

Yes. Please refer to the Phase I and Phase II debris cleanup information above regarding private option. 

Are burned electronics and appliances (white goods) included in the household hazardous waste cleanup?

Teams handling hazardous waste will not remove appliances but will remove electronic wastes, such as TV and computer monitors, computers processing units, or cell phones.  The appliances will be removed as part of the overall debris removal process.

What should be done with burned metal debris, such as burned metal stakes?

Burned metal debris, such as metal stakes, may be recycled as scrap steel at:

  • Devlin Road Transfer Station, 889 Devlin Rd., American Canyon
  • Steel Mill Supply of Napa, 465 Napa Junction Rd., American Canyon
  • Berryessa Garbage Transfer Station, 7000 Block of Steel Canyon Rd., Napa (Saturdays only)

What does the “X” marked on my propane tank (or compressed gas cylinder) mean?

  • A pink “X” indicates the presence of asbestos that needs to be removed and properly disposed
  • A white “X” on a container means that DTSC has determined that the container is empty and can
      be disposed of (disposal locations noted below).

For compressed gas cylinders, there are a couple of local options for recycling or disposal, as follows:

Empty compressed gas cylinders with the valve removed can be recycled as scrap steel at:

  • Devlin Road Transfer Station, 889 Devlin Rd., American Canyon
  • Steel Mill Supply of Napa, 465 Napa Junction Rd., American Canyon
  • Berryessa Garbage Transfer Station, 7000 Block of Steel Canyon Rd., Napa (Saturdays only)

Compressed gas cylinders that are not empty or if the valve cannot be removed by disposed at:

  • Napa County Household Hazardous Waste Facility, 889-A Devlin Rd, American Canyon

For additional information, please visit our hazardous waste disposal web page.

* Note regarding asbestos containing materials: For properties eligible for the Phase I Household Hazardous Waste Assessment and Removal, the program provides for workers to spend up to two hours on each property to remove household hazardous waste(s) and bulky asbestos items, meaning that they may not be able to remove all of the asbestos. If asbestos remains, the property will be marked as “Phase II Deferred,” meaning that the property still contains household hazardous waste(s) and/or asbestos that needs to be removed. Properties with this designation or areas spray painted in pink contain asbestos bearing materials that need to be removed during Phase II. Please refer to guidance provided for Phase II.

What should be done with burned drip lines from fire damaged vineyards?

Burned dripline is not recyclable.  This type of waste is considered trash and must be disposed of at a landfill or transfer station. Napa County residents can take this waste to: 

  • Clover Flat Landfill, 4380 Silverado Trail North, Calistoga, CA 94515 (707) 963-7988 (either self-haul or secure a debris box from Upper Valley Disposal (UVD)-same contact information as Clover Flat Landfill)
  • Redwood Landfill, 8950 Redwood Hwy, Novato, CA 94595  (866) 909-4458
  • Potrero Hills Landfill, 3675 Potrero Hills Lane, Suisun City, CA 94585 (707) 432-4627
  • Devlin Road Transfer Station, 889 Devlin Road, American Canyon 707- 256-3500 x1220

Property owners can contact the Devlin Road Transfer Station, UVD, or the Berryessa Garbage company (707) 529-8597 to request a rental roll-off container where the waste will be stored until pick up.

Why can't my contractor remove Phase I Household Hazardous Waste (HHW) from my home as part of the general clean up?

For residential properties included in the Phase I government HHW and Asbestos assessment and removal program, the HHW must be assessed and removed by the authorized government program team to protect public health and safety as part of a declared public health emergency protective measure. Hazardous waste could have significant long-term environmental impacts and should not be combined with the waste from the general clean-up that is going to the landfill. Removal of hazardous waste from the fire debris prevents these environmental contaminants from polluting the environment, and protects the workers and the public from exposure during debris removal efforts. Removal crews are specifically certified to handle household hazardous waste and bulk asbestos containing materials.

Is there still a danger with the fire debris and ash even after the household hazardous waste has been removed?

Yes, there is still a danger as fire debris and ash may contain hazardous substances like heavy metals and asbestos fibers.

Will all burned trees be removed within the right-of-way inside the burn area?

Government agency crews and contractors will remove fire damaged trees within the public right-of-way that present an imminent risk to public safety and roadways.

How should we prepare our property for rain? 

The post-fire landscape is especially susceptible to stormwater runoff-related hazards such as landslides, debris flow, flooding, and rockfall. Fire destroys vegetation and root systems that provide stability to the soil. Fire damage may also create hydrophobic soils, which could concentrate runoff into slopes that may already be prone to failure. It is the property owner’s responsibility to control stormwater runoff from their property. Property owners and contractors on burned lots and rebuild sites must take action to prevent pollutants, including sediment, from entering storm drains, creeks, rivers, and wetlands. 

Property owners should evaluate their property for potential hazard areas and install erosion and sediment control Best Management Practices (BMPs) as required. The Napa County Debris and Ash Removal Stormwater Pollution Prevention Plan will help you evaluate your property and choose BMPs. BMP materials such as wattles, mulch, and silt fencing, are available for purchase at various agriculture, garden supply and hardware stores. BMPs are used to minimize erosion and control sediment to keep pollutants from entering storm drains and our natural water bodies like creeks and rivers.

Visit Napa County’s Watershed Recovery page for more information and resources.

NEW! What are soil cleanup goals?

Once the debris and ash has been removed from a property, the soil is tested for 17 metals to determine if the property has been adequately cleaned up for both government and private cleanups. Soil cleanup goals have been established by CalRecycle for each of the metals, in the specific geologic areas within the Hennessey and Glass fires. Soil samples with levels of metals at or below the cleanup goals are considered satisfactory. Samples with levels of metals above the cleanup goals indicate additional work is required at the property. The soil samples are collected by a qualified professional and analyzed by a State certified laboratory. CalRecycle Soil Cleanup Goals and Map of Geologic Areas for Hennessey and Glass Fires (PDF)

Is there a list of contractors available to assist with Private Cleanup options? 

Napa County is compiling a list of contractors available to assist with Private Cleanup operations under an approved Debris and Ash Removal (DAR) plan.  If you are a contractor and you wish to be included on this list please call (707) 299-1350 or email [email protected] and provide your name, license # and contact information.  

*Please note: the contractors listed are not affiliated with Napa County and this list is provided as information only; it is not intended to be legal advice or an endorsement of any service or entity and Napa County cannot guarantee the services. Property owners are advised to verify that contractors and consultants have appropriate licenses for the work being done and that they have adequate insurance, with the property owner is included as an additional insured under the contractor’s insurance policy, for the cleanup work.
Certified Asbestos and Hazardous Waste Removal and Transportation Firms 2020 (PDF)*
Debris and Ash Cleanup Contractors (PDF)*