Governance & Meetings
Napa Valley Subbasin Groundwater Sustainability Agency
The Napa County Board of Supervisors established the Napa Valley Subbasin Groundwater Sustainability Agency (GSA) in December 2019. The Agency's Board of Directors consists of the Board of Supervisors.
GSA Role & Authority
The Sustainable Groundwater Management Act (SGMA) established a new structure for managing California’s groundwater resources at the local level by local agencies. SGMA required Groundwater Sustainability Agencies (GSAs) to form in the State’s high- and medium-priority basins and subbasins to develop Groundwater Sustainability Plans (GSPs) by January 31, 2022.
The Napa County GSA is currently working to enhance local groundwater management by establishing goals, objectives and standards for sustainable groundwater management in the Napa Valley Subbasin PDF PDF PDF PDF PDF , a high-priority basin. The agency oversees the development and implementation of a Groundwater Sustainability Plan (GSP) that meets the requirements of SGMA. SGMA gives GSAs numerous tools and authorities to manage the groundwater and implement the objectives of the GSP. Some of the authorities the GSA may use include the authority to conduct groundwater investigations, determine the sustainable yield of the groundwater basin, measure and limit groundwater extraction, impose fees for groundwater management, mitigate against overdraft, implement rules and regulations, and enforce the terms of a GSP. Chapter 5 of SGMA describes the powers and authorities in greater detail.
SGMA Scope & Boundaries
The State defines the objective, Sustainable Groundwater Management, and the Sustainable Management Criteria Framework.
The GSA defines locally-relevant criteria and solutions for achieving Sustainable Groundwater Management within 20 years of GSP Adoption. “A (GSP) may, but is not required to, address undesirable results that occurred before, and have not been corrected by, January 1, 2015” (CA Water Code §10727.2).
GSA Charge and Authority Includes*
GSA Charge and Authority Excludes
* Items listed here are for informational purposes and do not reflect the full scope of GSA charges and authorities provided under the Sustainable Groundwater Management Act. Please see California Water Code Division 6 Part 2.74, including Chapter 5. “Powers and Authorities”.
- Held monthly per the adopted calendar. Meetings typically occur in conjunction with the Napa County Board of Supervisor meetings
- GSA Directors meet at 1195 Third St., Suite 305, Napa CA 94559. Due to COVID-19 all meetings will be held online until further notice.
- Public may participate virtually as per Napa County Public Health Order and in adherence to the Governor’s Executive Order N-29-20:
- Public may comment on any item that appears on the agenda or provide general public comment for any item or issue that does not appear on the agenda by email to [email protected], or by phone at (707)-299-1776.
GSA Meeting Agendas, Minutes, and Video
- View the GSA’s Agendas and Minutes for current meetings (2021 to present) and past meetings (2020). The GSA agenda items are held in conjunction with the Board of Supervisor’s meetings.
- Agendas are posted one week before each meeting.
Groundwater Sustainability Plan Advisory Committee
The GSA formed the Groundwater Sustainability Plan Advisory Committee (GSPAC) in June 2020 to advise the GSA Board of Directors on the preparation of a Groundwater Sustainability Plan (GSP) for the Napa Valley Subbasin. There are 25 stakeholders on the GSPAC. The GSPAC is currently working with GSA staff and consultants to develop a draft GSP. The final draft GSP is due to the GSA Board of Directors by November 1, 2021.
- Held 2nd Thursday of each month at 1:30 pm.
- Meetings held virtually per Napa County Public Health Order and in adherence to the Governor’s Executive Order N-29-20.
- The public is invited to observe and participate in GSPAC meetings:
- Listen on the phone - Via Zoom at 1-669-900-6833, enter Meeting ID 997-9372-6555.
- Watch via the Internet - Via Zoom at http://www.zoom.us/join, enter Meeting ID 997-9372-6555.
- The public may submit public comment for any item that appears on the agenda or provide general public comment for any item or issue that does not appear on the agenda, as follows:
- Via email by sending comments to [email protected].
- Online using the Zoom attendee link: https://www.zoom.us/j/99793726555
- Enter an email address and your name. Your name will be visible online while you are speaking. When the Chair calls for the item on which you wish to speak, click “raise hand.”
- By phone by calling the Zoom phone number 1-669-900-6833 and entering Meeting ID 997 9372 6555.
- When the Chair calls for the item on which you wish to speak, press *9 to raise a hand.
GSPAC Meeting Agendas, Minutes, and Video
- View GSPAC’s Agendas and Minutes webpage for materials related to current and past meetings.
- Agendas are posted one week before each meeting.
Join the Groundwater Email List for updates and opportunities to get involved in GSA and GSPAC meetings and activities.