Season of Sharing

Nearly one in five Bay Area households has less than $400 in savings. This means that any unforeseen event, be it a global pandemic, sudden loss of job, or a medical emergency, can catalyze a downward spiral that leads to possible homelessness. Assistance from the Chronicle Season of Sharing Fund makes it possible for Bay Area households to keep a roof over their heads and food on their tables as they strive to get back on their feet. As a result, 100 percent of the money raised by the Chronicle Season of Sharing Fund goes directly towards housing, food, and other basic needs of the Bay Area neighbors we serve. While most donations come in during the end-of-year holiday season, the Chronicle Season of Sharing Fund operates year-round. 

Stories from the San Francisco Chronicle 

San Francisco Chronicle posts articles about past clients who would like to share their stories on how the Season of Sharing helped them in a time of need.  

Who Can Apply?

  • Families with dependent children under the age of 18 (including families where reunification is imminent)
  • Seniors (55 years or older)
  • Persons with a long-term disability
  • Emancipated foster care youth
  • Veterans
  • Victims of domestic violence
  • Pregnant women in second trimester or later

 How the Fund Must Be Used

  • The Fund is to be used for a non-recurring single crisis
  • The Fund is to be used as the last resort
  • The Fund must resolve the immediate problem and help the family or individual regain long-term self-sufficiency.

We Are a SAFE Program

  • No need for legal documents. 
  • The assistance will not affect your immigration status. 
  • We don’t share your legal status with anyone.

Assistance Provided

  • Rental assistance, including back rent to prevent eviction 
  • Mortgage payments, including back mortgage payments Security deposit 
  • Medical equipment & health aides not covered by insurance 
  • Delinquent utilities 
  • Non-routine auto repairs (restrictions apply) 
  • Critical dental cost for seniors (restrictions apply) 

How to Apply

To apply, please make an appointment directly with one of our partner organizations on this list:

Documents required

1. Identification of Household Members

  • Adults (everyone over 18): Picture ID and provide a Social Security card if available.
  • Children (under age 18): Birth certificate or any other document showing birthdate, Social Security card if available or other documentation establishing the child as part of the family (i.e., guardianship papers, child support, or verification of public assistance provided for the child) 

2. Proof of Income for everyone 18 and over – ALL current income sources

  • Copies of paystubs
  • SSI
  • Disability
  • Unemployment
  • Child support
  • CalWORKs
  • Other income used to pay rent and household expenses (side jobs paid in cash, etc.).
  • Bank Statement (current). We require a copy of the latest bank statement for anyone in the household that has a bank account. 

To demonstrate sustainability, please provide at least one month’s worth of income verification or employment confirmation letter from future employer including hours you will work and how much you will be paid.  

3. Documentation of Need) Applications for Housing Assistance require the following:

  • For Delinquent Rent or mortgage:
    • Verification of Tenancy form
    • Mobile Home Monthly Statement (if living in mobile home park)
    • Rental agreement or Landlord’s letter of intent to rent, Mobile home statement or mortgage statement (3-day notice or eviction notice can be received in lieu of rental/lease agreement) (for mortgage payments, we will need a W-9 filled out by the bank if bank is not in our vendor list)
    • Documentation of any special payment arrangements
    • W-9 form if landlord/mortgage company is not a vendor•
  • For Security Deposit:
    • Verification of Tenancy form
    • Documentation of reason for emergency move (i.e., homeless, relocation, family reunification, displacement)
    • Documented amount for security deposit
    • Documented amount of security deposit to be refunded from current residence
    • New rental contract or letter of intent from new residence
    • Documentation of any special payment arrangements
    • Copy of the Housing Authority’s inspection report
    • Documentation of the amount obligated to pay by tenant 
  • Applications requesting a Critical Family Need require the following:
    • Utility bills
    • Documentation of need for the item (for example, doctor’s recommendation for medical equipment, note from social worker for bathroom modification)
    • Bids/estimates for the purchase of the item 

Applications may request for both Housing Assistance and Critical Family Needs on the same form.