The General Assistance (GA) program provides assistance for all eligible low-income residents of Napa County who are unemployed or unable to work. We provide short-term financial assistance in the form of a loan for adults without children that will help an individual to either find employment or obtain support from another source.
Changes to the General Assistance Program
Effective May 1, 2020, the General Assistance program will be changing. Some of the changes that you will see include:
- Vouchers for utilities, food, incidentals, and transportation have been lumped into one category called “Essential Needs.” This will allow you to decide, while meeting with your worker, how much you will need to cover each of these needs.
- Requirement to attend a monthly meeting with your Eligibility Specialist to collect your GA Vouchers
- You are responsible for reporting any changes to your Eligibility Specialist in your situation (including housing changes, income, assets, etc.) within ten (10) calendar days of the change occurring.
- You may use your entire GA amount to help pay for housing. You may also qualify for up to three (3) months of GA to help pay for a security deposit.
- You are required to apply for CalFresh and Medi-Cal to remain active in GA. Should you not qualify for these programs, your GA will not be impacted.
- If you have been sponsored to become a legal permanent resident of the United States, you will be required to provide information about your sponsor(s).
- If you currently use your vehicle as your primary residence, you may be able to exclude the value of your vehicle when looking at your property.
If you have the ability to work, additional changes include:
- You will have the ability to attend school or training while being in receipt of GA as long as you are also available and willing to accept employment of at least thirty (30) hours per week.
- You are eligible to receive GA for 3 full calendar months in a calendar year. You may continue to receive GA in 3 month extensions if you have been fully participating in your employment plan.
Who Is Eligible
An adult with no children who is:
- 18 years of age or older, OR
- A legally emancipated minor
- You must have a physical, mental, or functional disability or be currently unemployed or underemployed.
- You must be a United States Citizen or a Legal Permanent Resident.
- You must be a Napa County Resident with the intent to continue to reside in Napa County.
- You must meet income and resource limits
Eligibility for benefits depends on a number of factors, including family size, amount of income or property, and needs of the applicant.
How General Assistance May Help
General Assistance benefits are provided in the form of vouchers. Depending on your situation, you may receive assistance with housing and/or utility costs, food, incidentals (such as toiletries) and transportation.
If you are considered able to seek employment, you will be required to participate in our employment services program where a worker will assist you in developing your employment skills and searching for employment.
When you apply for GA, you will be required to sign a repayment agreement. This is an agreement stating you agree to repay any GA that you receive. Once you are no longer receiving GA, you will receive a bill in the mail for the entire amount of GA you received. If you are unable to pay the amount in full, contact our office at either 707-253-4102 or 707-253-4644 and we will set up a payment plan that meets your needs.
If you receive GA while waiting for SSI / SSP benefits to be approved, you will sign a repayment agreement that allows the County to collect any assistance issued from the initial SSI lump sum payment.
What is required of me if I receive General Assistance
Depending on your situation, you may be required to complete or participate in any of the following:
- Cooperate in obtaining medical verification of your disability
- Apply for Supplemental Security Income/State Supplemental Payment (SSI/SSP) and / or other disability benefits that the program department considers appropriate.
- Meet with your Eligibility Specialist
- Participate in our employment services program.
How to Apply
You may apply for General Assistance by completing SSSD 4005 - General Assistance application and submitting the application using one of the means below. Please ensure you include a valid telephone number and/or mailing address so that we may schedule an interview with you.
Hand your application to a receptionist at any of our locations Monday through Friday between 8am and 5pm
- 2751 Napa Valley Corporate Drive, Building A, Suite 108, Napa CA
- 4381 Broadway, Suite 100, American Canyon, CA
Drop your application in one of our drop boxes
- Outside the lobby at 2751 Napa Valley Corporate Drive, Building A, Suite 108, Napa CA
- Outside Suite 100 at 4381 Broadway, American Canyon, CA
Mail your application to:
Napa County Health and Human Services
2751 Napa Valley Corporate Dr.
Napa, CA 94558
Fax your application to (707) 253-6095
You may also apply by calling (707) 253-4511