CalFresh is California’s version of the federal Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP) that provides assistance for households to purchase nutritious food. The program uses Electronic Benefits Transfer (EBT) to allow recipients to buy food (including seeds and seedlings to grow food) at retail stores and farmers markets using a plastic debit card. Visit the Official California CalFresh website.
You can use your EBT card to make purchases online.
Individuals and families can purchase groceries online using their EBT card at Amazon and Walmart. If you receive CalWORKs, you may also be able to use your cash benefits to make purchases online at Walmart.
CalFresh benefits cannot be used to pay delivery fees, but both Amazon and Walmart offer free delivery with grocery purchases of $35 or more.
For more information, please see the EBT Online Frequently Asked Questions infosheet PDF .
CalFresh Time Limits for Able Bodied Adults Without Dependents (ABAWDs): Learn more about new work rules for some CalFresh applicants without dependents.
Supplemental Security Income/State Supplementary Payment (SSI/SSP) Recipients are able to receive CalFresh benefits beginning in June 2019 if they meet all other eligibility criteria.
How Do I Apply for CalFresh?
Applying for CalFresh is easy! We can even accept an application with just your name, address, and phone number. You can apply online, in person, by mail or by fax.
- Submit an online application through BenefitsCal.
- Pick up an application any weekday from 8 AM to 5 PM at our Self Sufficiency Services office, at:
2751 Napa Valley Corporate Drive
Napa, CA 94558
- Call us at 707-253-4511 (toll-free at 800-464-4514) to ask us to mail an application to you. You can mail it or fax it back to us.
- Fax an application back to us at 707-253-6095.
Here are some of the things we look at when seeing if you may qualify for CalFresh:
- Are you within program income limits? (See FAQs for income table)
- Are you a U.S. citizen? Or are you a Legal Permanent Resident?
- Who do you buy and cook your food with?
While an eligibility worker can tell you exactly what you will need, you may be asked to provide things like:
- Identification (does not need to be a picture identification)
- Social Security number
- Proof of any income
- Proof of expenses - rent, childcare, child support paid, medical expenses, etc.
Where Do I Turn in My Application?
- Apply Online
- Fax your application to 707-253-6095
- Mail your application to one of our offices
- Call us for help at 707-253-4511 (toll-free at 800-464-4514)