Medi-Cal and Other Medical Assistance
Available Services during Shelter-at-Home
- Emergency Public Assistance Applications
(phone interviews same day, except as noted above under general information)
Benefit Card Issuance
(emergencies – pick up by appointment)
Electronic Benefit Transfer (EBT) card issuance for CalWORKs and CalFresh recipients
Benefits Identification Card (BIC) card issuance for Medi-Cal emergencies
- General Information for the above programs
- Add a person to an existing case (all programs)
- Issuing supplements based on reported changes (CalWORKs and CalFresh)
- Accepting phone calls, and responding to clients questions (any program)
Telephone Numbers for All Offices
- Main: 707-253-4511
- Toll Free: 800-464-4214
- TTY: 800-877-8339
- CareerPoint: 707-253-4134
How to Apply
Medi-Cal is for low-income children and adults. There are two kinds of Medi-Cal, the expanded Modified Adjusted Gross Income (MAGI) coverage and classic coverage. Some Medi-Cal programs have a Share of Cost, but most do not. An eligibility worker will explain the difference and help you enroll in the best program for your situation.
You are automatically eligible for Medi-Cal benefits if you receive cash assistance from one of the programs below. A separate Medi-Cal application is not needed.
- Adoption Assistance Program
- California Work Opportunity and Responsibility to Kids (CalWORKs)
- Foster Care
- Refugee Cash Assistance (RCA)
- Supplemental Security Income / State Supplemental Program (SSI / SSP)
You can find more information about Medi-Cal at the California Department of Health Care Services website.
Covered California Plans
Covered California’s insurance plans are for people with income up to 400% of poverty. You can buy insurance plans through the Covered California website. If you apply for Medi-Cal, your eligibility worker will tell you if you (or a family member) is eligible to purchase a Covered California plan.
County Medical Services Program
County Medical Services Program (CMSP) is for certain adults who do not meet the requirements for Medi-Cal or who have to wait for open enrollment to enroll. Your eligibility worker will talk to you about CMSP if you qualify for this program. You can find more information about CMSP at the CMSP website.