Meet the Staff
County Executive Office
Mission & Values
The mission of the County Executive Officer Department is to provide for the effective management of County operations and to ensure the alignment of the County’s programs, resources and systems with the County Vision and Mission, as adopted by the Board of Supervisors.
Napa County embraces the concept, "We work together in pursuit of excellence." In carrying out our responsibilities, we are guided by the following core values:
- Respect: We value and appreciate the interests, contributions, abilities, and differences of all.
- Accountability: We accept responsibility for work, behaviors, and decisions, and demonstrate transparency.
- Dedication: We are driven to provide public service of the highest quality.
- Integrity: We act with honesty, fairness, and moral courage, earning respect, trust, and confidence.
- Innovation: We improve the quality of service by encouraging creativity and being open to change.
Napa County: A tradition of stewardship - a commitment to service.
Assistant County Executive Officer
The Assistant County Executive Officer assists the County Executive Officer in overseeing the day-to-day management of County operations, supervises the staff of the County Executive Office and acts on behalf of the County Executive Officer in her absence. Other responsibilities include:
- Facilities planning
- Long-range fiscal planning
- Manage preparation and administration of County’s annual budget
- Purchasing oversight
Operations & Divisions
The County Executive Office comprises the County Executive Officer and the professional and support staff that assist them in planning, monitoring and overseeing County operations and providing staff support to the Board of Supervisors. The Office includes a number of functions and programs, including:
- Budget & Analysis
- Clerk of the Board
- Emergency & Risk Management
- Housing & Intergovernmental
- Training & Development
Budget & Analysis
Deputy County Executive Officers
Helene Franchi areas of responsibility:
- Assessor - Recorder-County Clerk
- County Counsel
- County Fire
- Criminal Justice Departments
- Flood Authority and Flood District
- Planning Building and Environmental Services
- Resort Improvement Districts
Molly Rattigan areas of responsibility:
- County Fair
- Housing and Intergovernmental Affairs (staff supervision)
- Human Resources
- Labor Negotiations
- Real Estate
Principle Management Analyst
Areas of responsibility for Bret Prebula:
- Budget Performance Measurement
- Community Resources and Infrastructure Departments and Issues
- Health and Human Services Agency
- In-Home Supportive Services Public Authority
Areas of responsibility for Ben Guerreri:
- Agricultural Commissioner/Sealer of Weights and Measures
- Child Support Services
- Community Resources and Infrastructure Districts
- District Attorney
- Public Defender
- Treasurer - Tax Collector
- UC Cooperative Extension
Clerk of the Board & Support Staff
Clerk of the Board
Gladys Coil has been Napa County’s Administrative Manager/Clerk of the Board since February 2007. She has been with the County since 1996, most recently as a Staff Services Analyst II in the County's Public Works Department and previously as a Supervising Office Assistant for the Napa County Flood Control and Water Conservation District and a Senior Office Assistant and Legal Clerk with the Napa County Health and Human Services Agency. Ms. Coil has a Bachelor’s degree with honors in Management from St. Mary's College of California.
Deputy Clerk of the Board
Karita Whitney has been with the County of Napa since March 1998. Her responsibilities include managing the Board of Supervisors agenda and agenda packets; serving as alternate clerk for Board meetings; coordinating public hearing notifications; processing appeals and acting as secretary for the Board of Equalization responsible for administrative details of assessment appeals.
Board Clerk II
Greg Morgan has been with the County Executive Office since May 2014 and with the County since 1999, most recently as a Supervising Office Assistant for the Napa County Flood Control and Water Conservation District and previously as an Office Assistant II for the Napa County Treasurer-Tax Collector. His responsibilities include assisting with the production and distribution of the Board of Supervisors agenda and agenda packets; serving as alternate clerk for Board meetings and processing approved Board documents.
Administrative Support Technician
Araceli Flores (se habla español) has been with Housing and Intergovernmental Affairs (HIA) since 2007; she used to be the Secretary and is now the Administrative Support Technician. Her responsibilities include support to HIA, Napa County Housing Authority and Affordable Housing; clerking Housing Commission, Napa Valley Tourism Improvement District and Arts Committee meetings; and performing departmental accounting functions. Prior to joining the County, Araceli worked at St. Helena Hospital.
Emergency & Risk Management
Risk & Emergency Services Manager
Kerry John Whitney has been Napa County’s Risk and Emergency Services Manager since June 2006. He manages the County’s Comprehensive Risk Management program, including coordinating the County’s liability claims program, managing the County’s safety program, contract review and risk transfer and determining insurance coverages (liability and property) for all County departments, properties, vehicles and equipment.
Emergency Services Officer
Areas of responsibility for Emergency Services Officer, Kevin Twohey:
- Coordinate the services of the County’s long-range emergency preparedness program
- Plan, implement, coordinate and direct area-wide Emergency Services Programs
- Maintain Napa County’s Emergency Operations Plan and Hazard Mitigation Plan
- Administer and coordinate emergency preparedness training, education, and public information programs
Areas of responsibility for Safety Officer, Dave Peters:
- Plan, organize and direct the County's Occupational Safety Program
- Monitor and administer safety policies and applicable laws dealing with employee safety and liability exposures
- Assist departments in determining appropriate safety standards to ensure effectiveness, awareness, accountability and compliance
- Investigate work-related accidents and injuries and implement measures to prevent their recurrence
- Train new employees in safety policies, hazard identification and other safe work practices to prevent injuries and illnesses
Administrative Support Technician
Sandra Hage has been with Napa County since October 2012. Her responsibilities include administrative support to the Risk and Emergency Services Manager, processing workers' compensation claims and assisting with Napa County's Proximity Housing Program.
Housing & Intergovernmental Affairs (HIA)
Housing & Community Development Program Manager
Nancy Johnson has been Napa County’s Housing and Community Development Program Manager since July 2007 and is responsible for management of the County’s three migrant farm worker centers and other affordable housing programs.
Staff Assistants to the Board of Supervisors
Michael Karath has served as a Staff Assistant to the Board of Supervisors since January 2008. He is responsible for helping supervisors Mark Luce and Keith Caldwell with constituent services and policy issues. Mr. Karath also assists the Director of Housing and Intergovernmental Affairs with administering the County's legislative platform.
Nelson Cortez joined Napa County as a Staff Assistant to the Board of Supervisors in July 2015. Mr. Cortez works closely with Supervisors Brad Wagenknecht, Diane Dillon and Alfredo Pedroza, assisting them with constituent matters and organizing community meetings to address specific community concerns.
Training & Organizational Development
Marissa Murphy-Becerra has been Napa County's Training and Organizational Development Officer since May 2017. In this capacity she oversees initiatives that contribute to individual and organizational success, including:
- Continuous quality improvement
- Employee recognition
- Needs assessments
- Organizational culture and performance
- Succession planning
- Talent development