Planning, Building & Environmental Services
Public Counter Operations in Response to COVID-19
The permit center is operating on a limited basis and by appointment only due to the current health concerns related to the Covid-19 virus.
To make arrangements for submittal of an application electronically, or to schedule an appointment please email the department:
|For changes of use, licensing, property changes, events|
|For building a new structure; changing or demolishing an existing structure|
|For water, septic, food service and sanitation|
|For earth movement, roads, easements|
Due to demand and limited staffing please allow for a response within one to two (1-2) business days. We thank you for your understanding during this time as we continue our efforts to serve the Community. If you have questions please call (707) 253-4417
- Social Distancing Protocol, Appendix A, Fillable (PDF)
- CDC Hygiene and Safety Fact Sheets to print and post in the workplace (available in English and Spanish)
- What permitting and inspection for construction is allowed under the latest COVID-19 Health Officer Order?
- How do I submit a new application to the Planning, Building and Environmental Services (PBES) Department during the COVID-19 Shelter at Home period?
- What if I already have an application on file with PBES and I need to provide resubmittal materials and information?
- How do I pay for new submittals or resubmittals during the COVID-19 Shelter at Home period?
- How may I review PBES files during the COVID-19 Shelter at Home period?
- Are you still scheduling inspections during the COVID-19 Shelter at Home period?
- When my Erosion Control Plan is approved, how will the approved plans be provided?
- May I apply for septic and/or well permits and pay for site evaluations online?
- May I submit food facility or water system plans at this time?
Maps and More! PBES Citizen Toolbox
Explore PBES’ Citizen Tools below. Explore maps, apps, and data from our department. Check back often - we’re always working on new tools.
Please note that as of July 20, 2019 the fees for Planning, Building and Environmental Services (PBES) will increase per the Board of Supervisors resolution that was passed on May 21, 2019. Also note that the General Plan Surcharge will increase to 3.3% of the permitting fees.
To residents impacted by the recent fire, please visit Rebuilding after the Fire for additional information.
Draft Renewable Energy Ordinance Available for Public Review
A draft ordinance updating Napa County’s development regulations for renewable energy systems has been released for public comment. Notable components are:
Codifies County’s current practices of allowing ‘accessory renewable energy systems’ such as small solar systems as a matter of right, but limits the system to meeting on-site power needs of private residences, business, and agricultural uses. Applies ministerial development standards consistent with other allowed accessory uses.
Establishes regulations for ‘commercial renewable energy facilities’ for power generation facilities that provide feed-in tariff power to the public utility grid.
Codifies County’s current practices of allowing emergency power generators for use during power outages. Generators limited in size to meet on-site power needs only.
These uses are excluded from agricultural and residential zoning districts, and allowed with a Planning Commission Use Permit in industrial, commercial, and public facility districts.
Establishes comprehensive development standards for such uses
Repeals antiquated ‘small wind energy’ code requirements that expired in 2017.
Please direct comments or questions via email to John McDowell or call him at (707) 299-1354. A public hearing before the Planning Commission is tentatively set for November 20, 2019. Upon conclusion of the Planning Commission’s recommendation, the draft ordinance will be scheduled for a public hearing before the Board of Supervisors.
For weekend complaint line please call (707) 732-1090 or file a online complaint using our form.
Napa County Use Permit Compliance Program
Online Permit Center (OPC) - Check Status of Your Permit
Want to find the status of your permit? Click the link below to go to the Online Permit Center. See "How to check the status of your permit" Opens a New Window. for step by step direction on how to check the status. Find permits and application status.
Notice: Deferred Submittals
Effective November 1, 2017, Napa County Building Department will no longer accept Deferred Submittals without prior approval by the Chief Building Official on all projects. This includes Truss (Floor and Roof) Calculation Packages. Please adjust your initial building plan submittals to include all of the required documents to submit a complete application package. Incomplete application submittal packages will not be accepted.
We want to hear from you, please take our customer survey.
- New: Frequently Asked Questions about Measure D (PDF)
- View a map and near-live view of progress related to fire rebuild permits in Napa County (or by clicking the image below):
- Proposed Solar Project FAQs
- Available: Check out our online permit options for licensed contractors.
- Notice! The Planning, Building and Environmental Services Department has completed scanning all property records and have converted them to electronic records. They will soon be available on the County website. In the meantime, if you are unable to locate your records in Electronic Document Retrieval please contact us for assistance at 707-253-4417. Please note, In some cases the electronic copies can only be viewed in our office due to copyright restrictions.
- Notice! Latest Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) Flood Mapping - Floodplain
- Updated: Wastewater System (AB 885)
- New: Agricultural Protection Advisory Committee (APAC)
- Notice! Update to Water Availability Analysis
- Development Permit Review
- Conservation violations can be reported to the Code Enforcement Division
- Agricultural Erosion Control Plan Processing
- Conservation and Watershed Planning
- Geographic Information System (GIS) Analysis and Data
- Maps and Graphics
- Williamson Act Contracts
- Mining Permitting and Inspection
- General Plan Implementation
- Grading and Floodplain Management
- Stormwater Pollution Prevention
- Record Map Review
- Lot Line Adjustments
- Certificates of Compliance
- Consumer Protection
- Well and Onsite Wastewater Treatment
- Certified Unified Program Agency (CUPA) / Pollution Prevention
- Development Permit Review
- Land Use and Zoning
- Ordinance Updates
- General Plan Implementation
Parks & Open Space
- Regional Parks and Open Space Management
- Camping Permits
Wildlife Conservation Commission
- Advises the Napa County Board of Supervisors on policy and funding regarding wildlife and their habitats
Current Project Information
Find documents and information about major projects, development applications, and other Department work programs.
Cottage Food Law
Effective January 1, 2013, state law will allow private homes to be used to prepare and package food products for sale to consumers under certain conditions. View the Cottage Food Operations page.
Consolidated Permit Service Center
Enjoy the convenience of having your questions answered about planning, building, environmental health, engineering and conservation (vineyard) issues every day, Monday through Friday, 7:30 a.m. to 5 p.m. View the Online Permit Center for online help.
Update to Water Availability Analysis
A Water Availability Analysis is conducted as part of the discretionary groundwater permit application review process for projects located in the unincorporated county. The proposed changes reflect the guidance staff received from the Board of Supervisors and the Groundwater Resources Advisory Committee (GRAC).
- November 26, 2014 Water Availability Analysis Public Draft (PDF)
- December 1, 2014 Water Availability Analysis FAQ-Comments Received (PDF)
Agricultural Protection Advisory Committee (APAC)
The County Executive Officer announces the newly created Napa County APAC. This ad hoc committee is intended to serve as an advisory committee to the Planning Commission for purposes of making recommendations to the Planning Commission on a variety of winery development and agricultural protection measures.
Draft Medical Marijuana Ordinance
An ordinance (PDF) of the Napa County Board of Supervisor, State of California, adding new County Code Chapter 8.10 to establish reasonable standards for the growing of personal amounts of medical marijuana and expressly banning dispensaries.
Interactive Napa County Winery Map
Explore wineries within Napa County using an interactive winery map.
Interactive Napa County Erosion Control Plan Map
Explore pending Erosion Control Plans using an interactive erosion control map.