Planning, Building & Environmental Services
NEW! Attention Customers: Due to recent staff shortages and increased applications, the Building Division is experiencing delays in permit processing and inspection scheduling. We have brought in additional outside consultant services and staff to minimize any delays. Please contact the Building Official if you have an urgent matter. We thank you for your patience and understanding at this time and look forward to returning to our normal level of service as soon as possible.
NEW! NOTICE: New Building Code Requirements go into effect June 17, 2021 to improve fire protection for all new residential construction and rebuilds. Please refer to Ordinance No. 1468 and Resolution 2021-50 for details.
WILDFIRE RECOVERY INFORMATION: Hennessey Fire and Glass Fire 2020
If your property was damaged or destroyed, we are here to help. Visit the Rebuilding After the Fire website for information on the clean up and rebuilding process, or visit the Local Assistance Center (LAC) website for additional fire recovery information and resources.
COVID-19 What’s Happening Now
Advisory: To comply with current health orders, we have implemented COVID-19 Prevention Protocols, including modifications to our submittal processes and public counter operations. Please use the division links on the left hand column to find information and resources for services provided by PBES. If you are having trouble locating the information you need on our Website, please use the search feature for the topic you are interested in or contact us via email or phone before scheduling an appointment with our public counter.
- County Adopts Resolution No. 2021-16 to update COVID-19 temporary measures for health and safety business operations. To submit, please download the fillable Notice of Intent forms for Temporary Measures for COVID-19 Application Form or the Fire-Related Host Winery Business Operations Application, and then upload the completed form(s) to our PBES cloud services here and PBES staff will be notified that it has been submitted.
- COVID-19 Food Safety: Restaurants in Response to COVID-19 (PDF)
For countywide COVID-19 updates visit the Napa County Coronavirus web page.
- How do I submit a new application to the Planning, Building and Environmental Services (PBES) Department during the COVID-19 Shelter at Home period?
- What if I already have an application on file with PBES and I need to provide resubmittal materials and information?
- Can I schedule a conference call or Zoom meeting with PBES staff, rather than in-person?
- How do I pay for new submittals or resubmittals during the COVID-19 Shelter at Home period?
- How may I review PBES files during the COVID-19 Shelter at Home period?
- When my Erosion Control Plan is approved, how will the approved plans be provided?
- May I apply for septic and/or well permits and pay for site evaluations online?
- May I submit food facility or water system plans at this time?
Recent Changes: New Inspection Scheduling System
We have a new Automated Phone System for scheduling your Building Inspections via phone or text. Please refer to the Inspections and Select Text Scheduling Guide (Flier) and our handy Automated Inspection Scheduling System Tri-Fold Guide to keep handy in your car. Before you call the new automated scheduling system, please review the Guide, then call or text to schedule your inspection(s), and make sure you receive a confirmation for each type of inspection you are scheduling.
You can also schedule inspections through our Online Permit Center.
Maps and More: PBES Citizen Toolbox
Explore PBES Citizen Tools below. Explore maps, apps, and data from our department. Check back often - we’re always working on new tools.
For a one-stop-shop of all things maps and data, please visit the map explorer website or click on the image below (please note that this app will not work in Internet Explorer):
For more content-specific maps, please try one of these:
Napa County Use Permit Compliance Program
We want to hear from you, please take our customer survey.
- Frequently Asked Questions about Measure D (PDF)
- Available: Check out our online permit options for licensed contractors.
- Notice! The Planning, Building and Environmental Services Department has completed scanning all property records and have converted them to electronic records, which are available on the County website via the Electronic Document Retrieval. If you are unable to locate your records online please send an email with the specific information you are looking for to [email protected]. Please note, In some cases the electronic copies can only be viewed in our office due to copyright restrictions.
- Notice! Latest Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) Flood Mapping - Floodplain
- Updated: Wastewater System (AB 885)
- New: Agricultural Protection Advisory Committee (APAC)
- New: Napa County BOS Comment Letter_Fire Safe Regulations 3/17/2021 (PDF)
- Notice! Update to Water Availability Analysis
- Development Permit Review
- Conservation violations can be reported to the Code Enforcement Division
- Agricultural Erosion Control Plan Processing
- Conservation and Watershed Planning
- Geographic Information System (GIS) Analysis and Data
- Maps and Graphics
- Williamson Act Contracts
- Mining Permitting and Inspection
- General Plan Implementation
- Grading and Floodplain Management
- Stormwater Pollution Prevention
- Record Map Review
- Lot Line Adjustments
- Certificates of Compliance
- Consumer Protection
- Well and Onsite Wastewater Treatment
- Certified Unified Program Agency (CUPA) / Pollution Prevention
- Development Permit Review
- Land Use and Zoning
- Ordinance Updates
- General Plan Implementation
Parks & Open Space
- Regional Parks and Open Space Management
- Camping Permits
Wildlife Conservation Commission
- Advises the Napa County Board of Supervisors on policy and funding regarding wildlife and their habitats
Current Project Information
Find documents and information about major projects, development applications, and other Department work programs.
Cottage Food Law
Effective January 1, 2013, state law will allow private homes to be used to prepare and package food products for sale to consumers under certain conditions. View the Cottage Food Operations page.
Consolidated Permit Service Center
Enjoy the convenience of having your questions answered about planning, building, environmental health, engineering and conservation (vineyard) issues every day, Monday through Friday, 7:30 a.m. to 5 p.m. View the Online Permit Center for online help.
Update to Water Availability Analysis
A Water Availability Analysis is conducted as part of the discretionary groundwater permit application review process for projects located in the unincorporated county. The proposed changes reflect the guidance staff received from the Board of Supervisors and the Groundwater Resources Advisory Committee (GRAC).
- November 26, 2014 Water Availability Analysis Public Draft (PDF)
- December 1, 2014 Water Availability Analysis FAQ-Comments Received (PDF)
Agricultural Protection Advisory Committee (APAC)
The County Executive Officer announces the newly created Napa County APAC. This ad hoc committee is intended to serve as an advisory committee to the Planning Commission for purposes of making recommendations to the Planning Commission on a variety of winery development and agricultural protection measures.
Draft Medical Marijuana Ordinance
An ordinance (PDF) of the Napa County Board of Supervisor, State of California, adding new County Code Chapter 8.10 to establish reasonable standards for the growing of personal amounts of medical marijuana and expressly banning dispensaries.
Interactive Napa County Winery Map
Explore wineries within Napa County using an interactive winery map.
Interactive Napa County Erosion Control Plan Map
Explore pending Erosion Control Plans using an interactive erosion control map.