Planning, Building & Environmental Services
COVID-19 What’s Happening Now
Advisory: To comply with current health orders, we have implemented COVID-19 Prevention Protocols, including modifications to our submittal processes and public counter operations. Please use the division links on the left hand column to find information and resources for services provided by PBES. If you are having trouble locating the information you need on our Website, please use the search feature for the topic you are interested in or contact us via email or phone before scheduling an appointment with our public counter.
For countywide COVID-19 updates visit the Napa County Coronavirus web page.
County Adopts Resolution No. 2020-72 NEW!
COVID-19 temporary measures to establish health and safety business operations:
For further information, please refer to Resolution No. 2020-72. Please upload completed Temporary Measures Application Forms to our PBES cloud services here and PBES staff will be notified that it has been submitted.
COVID-19 Food Safety
- How do I submit a new application to the Planning, Building and Environmental Services (PBES) Department during the COVID-19 Shelter at Home period?
- What if I already have an application on file with PBES and I need to provide resubmittal materials and information?
- How do I pay for new submittals or resubmittals during the COVID-19 Shelter at Home period?
- How may I review PBES files during the COVID-19 Shelter at Home period?
- When my Erosion Control Plan is approved, how will the approved plans be provided?
- May I apply for septic and/or well permits and pay for site evaluations online?
- May I submit food facility or water system plans at this time?
Recent Changes: New Inspection Scheduling System
As of April 1, 2020, we have a new Automated Phone System for scheduling your Building Inspections via phone or text. Please refer to the Inspections and Select Text Scheduling Guide (Flier) and our handy Automated Inspection Scheduling System Tri-Fold Guide to keep handy in your car.
Before you call the new automated scheduling system, please review the Guide, then call or text to schedule your inspection(s), and make sure you receive a confirmation for each type of inspection you are scheduling.
Maps and More: PBES Citizen Toolbox
Explore PBES Citizen Tools below. Explore maps, apps, and data from our department. Check back often - we’re always working on new tools.
Please note that as of July 20, 2019 the fees for Planning, Building and Environmental Services (PBES) will increase per the Board of Supervisors resolution that was passed on May 21, 2019. Also note that the General Plan Surcharge will increase to 3.3% of the permitting fees.
To residents impacted by 2017 Napa Complex Fire, please visit Rebuilding after the Fire for additional information.
For weekend complaint line please call (707) 732-1090 or file a online complaint using our form.
Napa County Use Permit Compliance Program
Notice: Deferred Submittals
Effective November 1, 2017, Napa County Building Department will no longer accept Deferred Submittals without prior approval by the Chief Building Official on all projects. This includes Truss (Floor and Roof) Calculation Packages. Please adjust your initial building plan submittals to include all of the required documents to submit a complete application package. Incomplete application submittal packages will not be accepted.
We want to hear from you, please take our customer survey.
- New: Frequently Asked Questions about Measure D (PDF)
- View a map and near-live view of progress related to fire rebuild permits in Napa County (or by clicking the image below):
- Proposed Solar Project FAQs
- Available: Check out our online permit options for licensed contractors.
- Notice! The Planning, Building and Environmental Services Department has completed scanning all property records and have converted them to electronic records. They will soon be available on the County website. In the meantime, if you are unable to locate your records in Electronic Document Retrieval please contact us for assistance at 707-253-4417. Please note, In some cases the electronic copies can only be viewed in our office due to copyright restrictions.
- Notice! Latest Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) Flood Mapping - Floodplain
- Updated: Wastewater System (AB 885)
- New: Agricultural Protection Advisory Committee (APAC)
- Notice! Update to Water Availability Analysis
- Development Permit Review
- Conservation violations can be reported to the Code Enforcement Division
- Agricultural Erosion Control Plan Processing
- Conservation and Watershed Planning
- Geographic Information System (GIS) Analysis and Data
- Maps and Graphics
- Williamson Act Contracts
- Mining Permitting and Inspection
- General Plan Implementation
- Grading and Floodplain Management
- Stormwater Pollution Prevention
- Record Map Review
- Lot Line Adjustments
- Certificates of Compliance
- Consumer Protection
- Well and Onsite Wastewater Treatment
- Certified Unified Program Agency (CUPA) / Pollution Prevention
- Development Permit Review
- Land Use and Zoning
- Ordinance Updates
- General Plan Implementation
Parks & Open Space
- Regional Parks and Open Space Management
- Camping Permits
Wildlife Conservation Commission
- Advises the Napa County Board of Supervisors on policy and funding regarding wildlife and their habitats
Current Project Information
Find documents and information about major projects, development applications, and other Department work programs.
Cottage Food Law
Effective January 1, 2013, state law will allow private homes to be used to prepare and package food products for sale to consumers under certain conditions. View the Cottage Food Operations page.
Consolidated Permit Service Center
Enjoy the convenience of having your questions answered about planning, building, environmental health, engineering and conservation (vineyard) issues every day, Monday through Friday, 7:30 a.m. to 5 p.m. View the Online Permit Center for online help.
Update to Water Availability Analysis
A Water Availability Analysis is conducted as part of the discretionary groundwater permit application review process for projects located in the unincorporated county. The proposed changes reflect the guidance staff received from the Board of Supervisors and the Groundwater Resources Advisory Committee (GRAC).
- November 26, 2014 Water Availability Analysis Public Draft (PDF)
- December 1, 2014 Water Availability Analysis FAQ-Comments Received (PDF)
Agricultural Protection Advisory Committee (APAC)
The County Executive Officer announces the newly created Napa County APAC. This ad hoc committee is intended to serve as an advisory committee to the Planning Commission for purposes of making recommendations to the Planning Commission on a variety of winery development and agricultural protection measures.
Draft Medical Marijuana Ordinance
An ordinance (PDF) of the Napa County Board of Supervisor, State of California, adding new County Code Chapter 8.10 to establish reasonable standards for the growing of personal amounts of medical marijuana and expressly banning dispensaries.
Interactive Napa County Winery Map
Explore wineries within Napa County using an interactive winery map.
Interactive Napa County Erosion Control Plan Map
Explore pending Erosion Control Plans using an interactive erosion control map.