VITAL STATISTICS OFFICE IS OFFERING LIMITED SERVICES
The following in-person services are provided by appointment only. Please call or email our office for more information. 707-253-4506 [email protected]
- Issuance of certified copies of birth and death certificates
- For births and deaths occurring more than 12 months in the past, please call the County Recorder at 707-254-4247 to schedule an appointment
- Issuance of Medical Marijuana ID Cards
- Registration of out-of-hospital births
The following online and mail processes remain available:
- Online registration of Births and Deaths & issuance of Disposition Permits
- Faxed certificate unlock requests.
- Mail-in orders for certified copies of birth/death certificates, permit payments & transit letters
Napa County Health and Human Services Agency, Office of Vital Statistics is responsible for registering all births and deaths that take place within the County of Napa only. The office of Vital Statistics provides birth and death certificates for births and deaths within the last 12 months. Vital Statistics also issues permits for the disposition of human remains, provides data for reporting of communicable diseases to the State of California, and processes applications for the California Medical Marijuana ID Card (MMIC) Program.
To obtain copies of records that are more than 12 months old, please visit the Napa County Clerk Recorders Office Monday through Friday, 8:00 AM to 5:00 PM.
Birth Records and Out-of-Hospital Births
Obtain a certified copy of a Birth Record. A certified copy of a birth record is required to obtain a driver’s license, passport, and other services related to a person’s identity.
Obtain a certified copy of a Death Record. A certified copy of a death record may be required to obtain death benefits, claim insurance proceeds, notify Social Security and obtain other services related to identity. Death Records page
Information for Funeral Homes
View and download office policies, forms, and information about emergency filing. Funeral Agent Information page
Medical Marijuana ID Cards
Obtain a Medical Marijuana ID Card. Napa County Residents with a recommendation from a physician may apply for and receive Medical Marijuana ID Cards for themselves and their primary caregiver. Medical Marijuana ID Card page
- Certified Birth Certificates $28
- Death Certificates $21
- Fetal Death Certificates $18
- Burial Permits $12
- Medical Marijuana ID Card
- Non Medi-Cal $100
- Medi-Cal $50
- County Medical Services Program (CMSP) $0
Methods of Payment
Check or Money Order (Payment made to "County of Napa")
Credit or Debit Card (there is a fee of $2.50 for this service)