Please visit the county’s Coronavirus website for situation updates and health information.
Please note that the services and programs of the Napa County Animal Shelter and Adoption Center have been updated. The County remains under a Shelter at Home Order dated June 18, 2020 and the order will remain in effect until it is rescinded, superseded or amended in writing by our Public Health Officer. During this time, Animal Shelter staff will continue to care for the animals and we will closely monitor the needs of the public in terms of animal welfare during this emergency.
We appreciate everyone’s support and understanding during this unprecedented time. Continue to follow us on Facebook, Instagram and our County website for updates.
Services by Phone/Appointment
The following services are to be available by phone/appointment only:
- Acceptance of stray dogs and any injured/sick animals found within our jurisdiction
- Microchipping services
- Spay/Neuter Vouchers (Please contact Napa Humane at 707-252-7442 for appointment details)
- Return to owner
- Reporting of lost/found animals
- Owner request euthanasia and remains services
- License and license renewals
- Meet and Greets
- Foster Program
Please call the office at 707-253-4382 to let us know you are here and we will provide curbside service as much as possible. You can also email the Animal Shelter with any inquiries.
Temporarily Suspended Programs/Services
The following programs/services are temporarily suspended until further notice:
- Volunteer Program and orientations
- Acceptance of healthy adult, stray cats
- Owner surrender (will be triaged by need)
- In kind donations (unless we put out a call for a specific item)
- Public viewing of the animals
Information for animal owners from Claudia Sonder DVM, President, Napa CART
In these difficult times, the healing power of the human-animal bond adds to community resilience. Napa County has a robust network of animal organizations who are united in their efforts to support those of you with pets who might need assistance. This web page contains resources to help you manage your pets, while you look out for your own health and safety.
Our mission is to serve our community by providing for a safe and healthy environment for our citizens and their animals while promoting animal welfare and education about responsible pet ownership.
See pictures of some of the animals adopted out of our animal shelter.
Programs & Services
- Pet Adoptions
- Lost and Found Pets
- Dog License Information
- Disaster Kits
- Vaccination Clinics: Please visit the Napa Humane website for information on weekly actual-cost rabies vaccinations and other low-cost services or VIP Petcare Services for additional clinic dates and locations (including weekends).
- Kennel Permits: The Napa County Animal Shelter permits and inspects kennels with five or more animals. If you wish to open a shelter you need to start with your local planning department for appropriate land use permits. A condition of approval of that use permit will be that you obtain a kennel permit from the Animal Shelter.
- Cat Trap Rental Agreement (PDF) Opens a New Window. : The Napa County Animal Shelter will rent traps for cats. If you are having a problem with feral cats in your neighborhood you can partner with us and agree to trap the feral cat and have it returned to the same neighborhood after it is spayed or neutered. Call the Animal Shelter for more information on this program.
- Dog License Fees
- Adoption Fees (PDF) Opens a New Window.
- List of Other Fees (PDF) Opens in New Window
- Dog Bites: Prevention & Treatment
- Become a Volunteer!
- Donations Wish List (PDF) Opens a New Window.
- County Code Relating to Animals
- First Quarter Asilomar Accords 2020 (PDF) and First Quarter Live Release Rate 2020 (PDF)
- Asilomar Accords 2019 (PDF) Opens in New Window and Live Release Rate 2019 (PDF) Opens in New Window
- Asilomar Accords 2018 (PDF) Opens in New Window and Live Release Rate 2018 (PDF) Opens in New Window
- Asilomar Accords 2017 (PDF) Opens a New Window. and Live Release Rate 2017 (PDF) Opens a New Window. Opens a New Window.
Napa County Animal Shelter and Adoption Center would like to thank the following businesses and organizations for partnering with us to make our shelter successful and for providing supplies and services for all of our animals:
- A big thank you to our local Bay Area and Napa Valley rescues and animal shelters for their assistance in animal welfare. It takes a village!
- Napa Valley Dog Training Club, Inc.-$10 gift certificate toward a training class with each dog adopted
- Critter Comforters- hand made comforters and blankets for all our adoptable animals
- Dog World- grooming services to our adoptable animals that need to be ‘trimmed up’
- Sally Seymour of Seymour & McIntosh Photography for donating their professional services and providing portraits of our adoption animals
- Pet Food Express for their partnership in the Adoption Coupon Program and continued support.
- Bissell Pet Foundation: host of Empty the Shelter, grants, fundraising, Bissell products.