Thank you for visiting us! Our animal shelter is here to serve the community and its animals by providing programs and services to support our Napa County residents and their pets. To better serve our public, appointments are required for licensing, spay/neuter vouchers, cat trap rentals, Foster Program procedures, microchipping, and reclaims. We welcome walk ins for adoptions and meet and greets and information on our adoption procedure can be found here Welcome Welcome!.
The Shelter takes in an average of 2300 animals a year and the important work that we do could not be made possible without the hard work of the staff, volunteers and our community. Staff work hard every day to make sure the needs of the animals are met while volunteers provide the necessary enrichment to help the staff keep our animals healthy. Our community plays a huge role in preventing animals from unnecessarily coming into the shelter by being responsible pet owners, seeking out spay/neuter resources, participating in our Community Cat Program, and providing generous donations of monetary and in kind items to assist with operations.
Our mission is to serve our community by providing for a safe and healthy environment for our citizens and their animals while promoting animal welfare and education about responsible pet ownership.
See pictures of some of the animals adopted out of our animal shelter.
Programs & Services
- Pet Adoptions
- Lost and Found Pets
- Dog License Information
- Disaster Kits
- Vaccination Clinics: Please visit the Napa Humane website for information on weekly actual-cost rabies vaccinations and other low-cost services or VIP Petcare Services for additional clinic dates and locations (including weekends).
- Kennel Permits: The Napa County Animal Shelter permits and inspects kennels with five or more animals. If you wish to open a shelter you need to start with your local planning department for appropriate land use permits. A condition of approval of that use permit will be that you obtain a kennel permit from the Animal Shelter.
- New Cat Trap Rental Agreement (PDF): The Napa County Animal Shelter will rent traps to feral cat advocates and members of the community within Napa County that want to control the free-roaming cat population in their neighborhoods. With minimal human intervention, our humane traps are used for trapping cats in order to be spayed/neutered and then re-released back to where they were found. The Community Cat Program (formerly Trap-Neuter-Release) is really the way to go to prevent unwanted kitten litters and keep healthy cats from unnecessarily entering the shelter system.
- Dog License Fees
- Adoption Fees (PDF) Opens a New Window.
- List of Other Fees (PDF) Opens in New Window
- Dog Bites: Prevention & Treatment
- Become a Volunteer!
- Donations Wish List (PDF) Opens a New Window.
- County Code Relating to Animals
- Second Quarter Asilomar Accords 2021 (PDF) and Second Quarter Live Release Rate 2021 (PDF)
- Asilomar Accords 2020 (PDF) and Live Release Rate 2020 (PDF)
- Asilomar Accords 2019 (PDF) Opens in New Window and Live Release Rate 2019 (PDF) Opens in New Window
- Asilomar Accords 2018 (PDF) Opens in New Window and Live Release Rate 2018 (PDF) Opens in New Window Opens a New Window.
Napa County Animal Shelter and Adoption Center would like to thank the following businesses and organizations for partnering with us to make our shelter successful and for providing supplies and services for all of our animals:
- A big thank you to our local Bay Area and Napa Valley rescues and animal shelters for their assistance in animal welfare. It takes a village!
- Critter Comforters: handmade comforters and blankets for all our adoptable animals
- Dog World: grooming services to our adoptable animals that need to be ‘trimmed up’
- Friends of the Napa County Animal Shelter for their fundraising efforts and providing support to shelter alumni and current animals at the shelter. Their work helps keep families together.
- Napa Valley Dog Training Club, Inc: $10 gift certificate toward a training class with each dog adopted
- Pet Food Express for their partnership in the Adoption Coupon Program and continued support.
- Sally Seymour of Seymour & McIntosh Photography for donating their professional services and providing portraits of our adoption animals.
- Bissell Pet Foundation: host of Empty the Shelter, grants, fundraising, Bissell products.