Do I need to register?

If you work in Napa County and provide in home care for compensation (any form of payment including free room and board), you must register unless:

  • You are an In-Home Supportive services provider who only works for IHSS recipients.
  • You voluntarily provide in home care and receive no compensation of any sort.
  • You are licensed by the State (e.g. Registered Nurse, Licensed Vocational Nurse, Certified Nursing Assistant) and you can provide proof of a current license.
  • You work for a licensed Home Care Organization.

Show All Answers

1. What is the definition of a caregiver or home care aide?
2. Do I need to register?
3. Where do I register?
4. Why do I need to register?
5. Are employees of Home Care Organizations required to register?
6. Are family members required to register?
7. Do I have to register in person?
8. How much does it cost?
9. How long does it take to complete the registration process?
10. Where can I get a TB test?
11. Do I need to get a TB test every time I renew my registration?
12. What if I want to hire someone who doesn’t pass the background check?
13. What do I do if someone I know is providing in home care but is not registered?
14. What are the consequences for failing to register?
15. What convictions require a criminal record exemption?
16. How often does a home care aide need have their fingerprints Livescanned?
17. Does the State check misdemeanors as well as felonies and does the background check go back seven years if the home care aide resided in another state?