What if I have a cash emergency?

If you have a cash emergency, you may apply for an Immediate Need payment when you apply for CalWORKs. Tell your Eligibility Specialist if you have an emergency.

Immediate Need payments may be available to families in emergency situations while the CalWORKs application is being processed. The maximum immediate need payment is $200. If you are apparently eligible for the CalWORKs program, you may be eligible for an Immediate Need Payment, within 24 hours, based on an emergency situation that may include, but is not limited to the following:

  • Lack of housing
  • Pending eviction
  • Lack of food
  • Utility shutoff notice
  • Transportation
  • Clothing needs
  • Other immediate health and safety issues

To apply for Immediate Need after you have submitted your CalWORKs application, but prior to having your CalWORKs granted, you may submit this CW 4 – Immediate Need Payment Request. English Spanish

For more information, contact your worker or call 707-253-4511.

Show All Answers

1. Do I have to have children to be eligible to CalWORKs?
2. Do I have to be a US citizen to be eligible?
3. What if I have a cash emergency?
4. How much income is used to calculate the CalWORKs cash aid amount?
5. If I receive Supplemental Security Income / State Supplemental Paymentam I eligible for CalWORKs?
6. If I am approved to receive benefits, how do I access them?
7. What happens if my Electronic Bank Transfer card is not working?
8. What if I have lost my Electronic Bank Transfer card?