What is a Special Flood Hazard Area (SFHA)?

The Special Flood Hazard Area (SFHA) is defined by FEMA as the area that will be inundated by the flood event having a 1-percent chance of being equaled or exceeded in any given year (sometimes called the “100-year” flood). Flood-hazard maps or flood insurance rate maps (FIRMs) have been created by FEMA to show the flooding risk for your community, which help determine the cost of flood insurance. The lower the degree of risk, the lower the flood insurance premium. Properties in the SFHA may be subject to the mandatory flood insurance purchase requirements of the National Flood Insurance Program (NFIP). You can contact the Engineering Division for FEMA flood zone information. They can be reached by phone at 707-253-4417, by email at [email protected], or in person at Suite 201 at the County of Napa Administration Building.

Show All Answers

1. I have been affected by the fire, will I receive any relief to rebuild my home from Engineering?
2. How can I verify that my new main dwelling square footage will meet the rebuild regulation of under 100% of the original space?
3. Where can I apply for a grading or floodplain management permit?
4. When is the Winter Shutdown period?
5. Do I have to apply for a Floodplain Management Permit?
6. What is a Special Flood Hazard Area (SFHA)?
7. Can I change my flood zone determination?
8. What is the typical timeframe for the County's review of Improvement Plans and Grading Plans?
9. I want to complain about flooding in my neighborhood
10. When will my bond or security for a grading permit be returned to me?
11. When do I need to obtain an encroachment permit?
12. Who do I contact to check if a contractor is licensed?
13. Who do I contact to file a complaint about illegal construction activity?
14. How should we prepare our property for rain after a fire?