How can I find out where a sewer problem is?

When a sewer backup or other problem occurs, call the NBRID main office at 707-259-8600 (M-F 8 am – 5pm), or the operations team at 916-584-1893, at any time, and a member of the NBRID operations staff will come out and inspect the public sewer main and lower lateral, free of charge. In many cases it will not be obvious whether the property owner or NBRID is responsible for the problem. If the problem is in the District’s lower lateral, we’ll repair the problem as soon as possible. If the District’s sewer line is clear, the property owner will be informed that the blockage is likely in the upper sewer lateral. In this case, the property owner is responsible for maintenance or repair and may still need to call a plumber.

Show All Answers

1. Who is responsible for sewer repairs?
2. How can I find out where a sewer problem is?
3. Sewage is backing up into my house/building through overflowing toilets, sinks, bathtubs, dishwasher, and/or washing machines. What should I do?
4. Sewage is overflowing from a cleanout or manhole onto the ground, driveway, street, etc. What should I do?
5. I have slow drainage through my toilets, showers, and sinks. What can I do about it?
6. I paid a plumber to repair my sewer lateral line. It turns out the problem was occurring in the public sewer line. Can I be reimbursed for my plumbing bill?
7. How do I proceed with a sewer lateral repair problem?
8. Is there information available on the history or cleaning frequency of a sewer line?
9. There is a manhole cover in my neighborhood that rattles every time a vehicle drives over it. What can I do about it?
10. What can I do about terrible sewer odors?
11. Can I pour paint that down the drain?
12. Is there any assistance for low-income households?
13. How can I connect to an existing sewer?
14. Can I tour the wastewater treatment plant?
15. I know I shouldn’t flush old medications down the toilet; where can I take them?