What if I’m not a US Citizen?

U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS)  guidelines permit immigrants and their children to use certain non-cash benefits and special purpose cash benefits without affecting their immigration status including:

  • Medi-Cal (Unless you use these services to pay for long-term care i.e. long-term nursing home care)
  • CalFresh
  • Healthy Families
  • Emergency Medical Assistance
  • WIC (Women, Infants and Children)
  • Job Training Programs
  • Foster Care and Adoption Assistance
  • Non-Cash benefits funded under CalWORKs
  • Emergency Disaster Relief
  • Testing & Treatment of Communicable  Diseases
  • One time emergency payments under CalWORKs
  • Prenatal Care
  • County Health Programs
  • Immunizations
  • Nutrition Programs
  • Housing Assistance
  • Energy Assistance
  • Educational Assistance
  • Child Care Services
  • Transportation Vouchers

Some of the above programs may provide cash benefits. The  purpose of such benefits is not  for income maintenance but rather to avoid the  need for on-going cash  assistance for income maintenance; therefore, they are  not subject to public  charge consideration. Important  Notice to Immigrants

Show All Answers

1. What Is CalFresh?
2. What are the income requirements for CalFresh?
3. Do I have to be on Public Assistance to be eligible to receive CalFresh?
4. How long does it take to receive CalFresh benefits?
5. What foods can I buy with CalFresh?
6. I am a single adult without dependents; can I apply for CalFresh benefits?
7. What if I have a bank account, own a home or have a car?
8. What if I’m not a US Citizen?
9. What does the application process look like?